2013 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class Consumer Review: Big, But Refined

2013 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class - Consumer Review

Big, But Refined
By scottque on

2013 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL450 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl Turbo 7A)

Ordered the 450 in February and took delivery in April, convenience 2 and heavily optioned but skipped the off-road stuff, automatic cruise, panoramic roof, and lane-assist. Would have ordered the diesel but dealers steered me clear given biodiesel content in Illinois - no complaints with the V-8; sounds great. This is not, however, a car that cries to be driven fast - big (which is why I bought it), heavy vehicle. Awesome for interstate cruising or tooling around town. Very quiet; smooth ride, although I hate the numb electronic steering. Great styling inside and out. Command system works fine for me, extremely comfortable, lots of convenience features. As good as advertised.

Park assist is fantastic; if you parallel park much, you should try it - saves your rims from scraping the curve, and the big vehicle has some blind spots (wish I would have got the blind-spot detection). Love the vented, massaging seats. Auto headlight package is very convenient and works well - bright, safe, looks great. I love the lighted running boards and interior ambient lighting at night. Great stereo. Commanding view of road; you just feel good driving this.

Need more speeds than on/off for rear wiper - as it gets a lot of water on rear window. Steering really is numb, as all of the press writes about. Wish second row seats adjusted. These are mostly minor items (steering aside).