a piece Junk ! Do not buy it !!!
By bingchan on
2012 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL350 BlueTEC 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 7A)
After I brought the car home, foundout there is a long scratch on the side of window, the dealer's pre-sale service sucks, they did not even inspect the car ! After 3 weeks, the car was less than 1500 miles, the car's steelring wheel quit working during the middle of the turn, almost killed me by kissing the light pole... I had mercedes during the 90s, I can not beleive their quality and service gone so low . I would never buy another Mercedes. I had a Acura RL for years and I never had any problem with it, its quality, comfort,safety and equipment are way better than Mercedes, and 20k cheaper too.
Favorite Features
it does get 23mile per gallon.
Suggested Improvements
Safety is No.1 important. When I read the review about this car would go on fire by itself, I did not believe it, now I have no doubts those stories are true. For the money mercedes charge, they should at least gurantee the basic safety ! The chair are very uncomfortable, I felt carry a big heavy bag all day long when I drives it. Come on, German enginnering suppose to be the best ???
By beware1
on 10/03/11 07:42 AM (PDT)

The 2012 Gl 350 Diesel has not been released yet. So where is this guy coming from?

By connor_m
on 09/01/11 09:14 AM (PDT)

Sounds like you had a bad dealership - not a bad car.

By ramdo
on 08/23/12 21:39 PM (PDT)

I completely disagree with Bingchan regarding this vehicle. To be honest, I'm not sure why you would buy a vehicle for 90K when you hate every aspect from styling to performance. I have a GL550 and absolutely love it. The car handles like a 90 K SUV should and looks beautiful when compared to the competition. The acceleration is great, styling is top notch and the accessories are wonderful. I couldn't think of a better vehicle to transport kids to football in, tow a boat, or go on a road trip. I own only German cars for a reason, they are built well and they look good. Just like one of the other commenters, the problem doesn't lie with the car. Gott sie Dank fr deutsche Volk die Qualitt deutscher Ingenieurskunst!

By steveman3
on 11/02/11 03:32 AM (PDT)

I was in Mercedes Benz of Wilmington (DE), and there was a black BlueTec (2012) being delivered. This was this past Saturday, October 29. I was getting (another) broken tire stem on my 08 GL320cdi replaced under my rapidly disappearing warranty. My salesperson tells me they are having a hard time getting 2012 ML's and GL's because of some Japanese sourced electronics in the dashboard head unit. Under than over the top dealer service bills, it's been a great SUV. I'm torn on getting another one or a BMW X5 Diesel.

By redkelly
on 12/30/13 13:51 PM (PST)

I have a 2008 GL 320 CDI - I've researched 2008 to 2013 GL user reports to determine if a 2014 GL350 diesel purchase is warranted due to experience with my 2008 GL. As much as I like this vehicle, in a nutshell, the GL has bad mechanical and expensive maintenance records. I’ll still consider a 2014 GL350 but must seriously consider a smaller 2014 Acura MDX because it’s built very well and has a very low cost to own. In addition to regular mtce (oil, lub & filter) costs, my annual mtce summary is very similar to other GL owners. The GL has some serious mtce issues and the expensive is high. Not something you think you would expect from MB. 140,133 miles as at 12/30/2013 Avg annual mtce cost since 2008 to date = $4,368.55 Common major component expenses for 2008 to 2012: 22,047 - replaced LF wheel bearing, adjusted rear cargo door to close, replaced fuel filter. 23,861 – checked codes popping up on display (bulbs out when they’re not, faults, etc…). 51,729 – cooling system fault. 55,734 – replaced RR airshock 61,516 – replaced cam shaft sensor. 73,794 - replaced entire rack & pinion steering column assembly (not under warranty). 73,856 - replaced auxiliary battery and did alignment. 90,041 - alignment & rear camber adjustment. 110,604 - replaced all 4 air shocks/springs. 111,518 – replaced headlight bulbs, replaced glow plug. 125,730 - replaced sway bar link, cam sensor & pressure differently sensor. 128,763 - replaced oil cooler line. The Infinity QX56 and Lexus 570 have much better mtce records and lower cost to own however the GL’s diesel mileage is far superior for this road warrior.