New to MB
By srpastor1 on
2011 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL350 BlueTEC 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 7A)
It's been a month since I traded my Lexus LS430 sedan for a 2011 GL 450 SUV. I researched the luxury SUV segment for more than 6 months. I ordered it with the P2 option, entertainment center and other luxury options. After 1000 miles, I realize that German engineering is very different from Japanese. The GL is very quiet, roomy and an attention getter. The drivetrain is excellent and smooth. It is awkward getting in and out of the cabin. Sitting high is excellent for urban driving. Overall, I like this vehicle but am still acclimating to MB luxury. It meets my needs for additional seating with a luxury nameplate. As I expected, the gas mileage is consistent with this segment.
Favorite Features
I like the excellent sound system. The styling is very impressive. Interior seating is comfortable. The multi-function steering wheel is very functional. The bluetooth phone programming is excellent and easy to use. Transmission is very smooth and shifts are imperceptible. The two sunroofs are great. Third row seating is definitely for adults. The power lift gate is a charmer. Plenty of space in the back for just about everything you can purchase.
Suggested Improvements
The NAV system screen is much too small and not user-friendly to program. On the other hand, the audio instructions are very good and precise. The standard seating material is hard and not attractive for this price point. The cruise control stalk placement is wrong and easily mistaken for the turn signal. At highway speeds, it is not as stable as I expected from MB. It seems floaty at speed. There is no place to store sunglasses. The dealer could not program the garage opener, after three attempts. I finally viewed the Mbrace video and programmed it myself.