Used 2011 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL450 4MATIC SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GL-Class model:

Dont but used
By mbpoorquality

2011 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV GL450 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

A used Mercedes, who brags about quality, should not need a new cylinder head at 65,000 miles. Running rough? When they do a compression test, dont be suprised if it is number 2 or number 4 on the passenger side. It will coast you $5000 and you can forget about warranty coverage. The electronics are way out of date. Save yourself money and frustration...do not buy used.

New to MB
By srpastor1

2011 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV GL450 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

It's been a month since I traded my Lexus LS430 sedan for a 2011 GL 450 SUV. I researched the luxury SUV segment for more than 6 months. I ordered it with the P2 option, entertainment center and other luxury options. After 1000 miles, I realize that German engineering is very different from Japanese. The GL is very quiet, roomy and an attention getter. The drivetrain is excellent and smooth. It is awkward getting in and out of the cabin. Sitting high is excellent for urban driving. Overall, I like this vehicle but am still acclimating to MB luxury. It meets my needs for additional seating with a luxury nameplate. As I expected, the gas mileage is consistent with this segment.

I like the excellent sound system. The styling is very impressive. Interior seating is comfortable. The multi-function steering wheel is very functional. The bluetooth phone programming is excellent and easy to use. Transmission is very smooth and shifts are imperceptible. The two sunroofs are great. Third row seating is definitely for adults. The power lift gate is a charmer. Plenty of space in the back for just about everything you can purchase.

The NAV system screen is much too small and not user-friendly to program. On the other hand, the audio instructions are very good and precise. The standard seating material is hard and not attractive for this price point. The cruise control stalk placement is wrong and easily mistaken for the turn signal. At highway speeds, it is not as stable as I expected from MB. It seems floaty at speed. There is no place to store sunglasses. The dealer could not program the garage opener, after three attempts. I finally viewed the Mbrace video and programmed it myself.

Delightful Improvements
By beechtiger

2011 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV GL450 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

I was delighted with significant improvements in Mercedes GL450 in the last few years. The firm seats are comfortable for both short and long distance driving. As a previous Land Cruiser owner, I am mighy pleased with the third row seats in GL450 as compared to Land Cruiser. It was a very simple push-button to set up the third row seats.

The favorite feature is the push button gears. For Park you just push a button to park without shifting any gears. Acceleration is good. Blind spot feature is also excellent.

Can't think of any.

Seduced by Styling
By rcf8000

2011 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV GL450 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

The GL is a mixed bag of the great and not so great. The latter would include the ride quality and road noise, although my car has the 20 inch wheels and runflat tires, which may be worse than the standard 19 inch wheels. I find the seats to be a bit too firm, but then I find most luxury car seats to be too firm. The nav screen is a joke. It's too small, and the lettering is too small. And I can't read it at all when wearing sun glasses. But the guidance to programmed destinations works well. My car has the running boards, which make getting in and out somewhat awkward. They look good though!

I especially like the styling. Other positives: build quality, cargo room, overall dimensions, a/c system, refined drivetrain, 3rd row seats, handling, braking, and steering. The blind spot assist really works great. Someday all cars will be required to have it, i predict.

Besides the issues described above, I would suggest making the controls less complicated, moving the cruise control stalk, and improving the gas mileage.

Grey Ghost aka GL450
By terp97

2011 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV GL450 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

Turned in 08 for a new 11 and once again very happy. Navigation is improved but still short of Acura/Lexus. Rear Entertainment screens are nicer but placement is horrible. They should have stayin the headrest. DVD in the center counsel is great location and it would be nice to control the DVD playback from the command not just from one of two remotes. It would be nice if the 550 grill and fender flares could be had as in option. The grill is massive and really sets the GL off with out sucking up all that gas like the 550 not that the 450 is any better.

Not sure if any one feature is my favorite but the GL has everything to offer in the right size and package. American SUVs are too big and unreliable and not a whole lot cheaper than the GL.

Navigation, Rear Entertainment controls and screen location.