Used 2011 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL350 BlueTEC Diesel Consumer Reviews - 7 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class Diesel - Consumer Reviews

GL350 BlueTEC 3.0L V6 Turbo Diesel AWD 7-speed Automatic - (7 reviews )

Continuous Costly Maintenance
By Ken

2011 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class Diesel GL350 BlueTEC 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 7A)

Here is a list of repairs on our GL350, 2011:
1. Fuel system changed, fuel rail, high pressure fuel pump, all 6 fuel injectors $600 each in part, total cost > $5000.
2. AdBlue preheater, $1300 part, total $2100
3. Pending issues, oil cooler seal leak, estimate $2800, part and labor
4. Pending issues, cold start rattling noise; most likely due to timing chain stretch

MUST buy extended warranty if you still want this car.

Highly recommend to wait until next business management change at corporate level to bring back their quality products. Currently, it's way below acceptable standard of practicing good business.

Nice, but costly to maintain
By Abraham

The performance of my GL350 is unacceptable at any level of quality standards. The Oil Cooler, AdBlu Heater, and GPS unit have all failed, within 5-8 thousand miles of the warranty. The costs to fix all these items are > 10% of the original purchase price of the car, at >$7,000. No one would offer that this performance meets or exceeds the most basic expectations.

While MB national and local discounts were offered and accepted (20% off), I told the MB national representative, Andrea D., Case Manager, [contact info removed] that I doubted if that discount was near the profit margins enjoyed by MB on parts and labor, making the ENTIRE cost remediation of these issues on my shoulders. We didn’t SHARE the remediation, I paid for it ALL.

I’ve purchased 4 Mercedes since 2008…I’ll not be an eager return MB buyer for my next auto…

Worst vehicle ever! Better get real good warranty!
By Brian

Fell in love with the looks of this vehicle. We had a VW Passat TDI but needed a bigger vehicle, and this seemed perfect. We wanted the diesel for the torque and fuel economy. Very soon after buying it (used with 69,000 miles) we began having problem after problem. Key fob quit working and then mysteriously began working again and now quit again, front wheel bearing went, had it fixed, then had to bring it back after they said they needed to replace it again, got it back and the other one went, then the air strut which began popping over every bump soon after buying it. Motor mounts went, steering column module went bad, transmission valve body had to be replaced, and it still revs and slams into second gear the first time take off in cold weather. Oil cooler seals leak, dealer supposedly changed them but they began leaking again. Never noticed the leak until AFTER they changed them bit it is a common problem. Cost: almost $3,000. AdBlue tank heater went bad, $2,000. Glow plug control module went bad, sway bar bushings and links went bad, tailgate sometimes doesn't close unless you hit the button several times or lock and then u lock with the key fob if you close it with the fob. Can't fold the second row seat back down because the seatbelt gets stuck and I have to unbolt it from the bottom to raise the seat back up. Vehicle now has 83,000 miles. Our Land Rover LR3 never gave us any problems except for an air compressor thay went out and a wheel bearing, which I easilly tackled myself. Fuel economy is dismal for a diesel. Best I can get on the highway is 22 mpg with the cruise set at 75. Cebeer console is poorly designed. You can't put anything in it. Cargo cover is poorly designed. You can't use it without scratching the sides of the vehicle, and the seatbelt snag on it making it a pain to get it into the grooves. I could go on. the LR3 also rode so much smoother, and the headlights were 100 times better, especially the high beams. Cargo carrying was also better even though the GL is much larger. The air suspension also raised and lowered very quickly on the LR3. Takes forever to raise on this vehicle. If you buy one get ready to become good friends with the service people. On the bright side you'll get to test drive alot of cars because at least they give you a loaner car. I can't get rid of this thing either because despite the fact that I got a good deal below book value, it depreciated like a rock. I regret buying this car. I've had BMW's, Land Rovers amd another Mercedes, and while Land Rovers are supposed to be unreliable, this Mercedes is way way worse than any Land Rover I've ever owned, even my 2002 and 2003 discovery II. There are other things I've had to get repaired bUT since there are so many I can't remember them all. I will rejoice the day I can finally get rid of this. Never again will I buy another Mercedes Benz.

Trouble some vehicle
By nafresh

I have 2011 GL Since 2013 now after 48 months Engine and transmission start leaking oil rear suspension airbag blasted at highway last year drive assisted sensor stop working, so much trouble spoke to several owners they confirm vehicle have lot of problems

nothing

Better reliability and dependability if so many troubles they Benz should recall and fix the problem

Very nearly perfect
By expdek

Having owned a variety of minivans and large SUV's over the years, we were looking at the new Dodge Durango.
A trip to Carmax to check the trade value on our van allowed us to walk the lot and we were taken by a GL450.
We wanted new, so went to the local MB dealer and drove the 2011 GL450.
End of story, we were sold with the ride, handling, luxury, and style compared to anything we had ever seen.
The dealer encouraged us to try a GL350 diesel, and that really made the deal so much better, to have this kind of performance with this kind of fuel economy.

This car just makes you feel good driving it. Super-powerful, super-quiet, super-smooth, very luxurious, excellent seating for seven. Impressive wow-factor compared to any other full-size SUV on the market. On a recent 600-mile highway trip, I got almost 29mpg. Around town regularly returns 24mpg...measured. 30-gallon tank means very long time between fill-ups.

As others have said, the COMAND system falls well short of the industry. I had streaming bluetooth audio standard in my 2007 Ford pickup but you can't get it here without paying extra. The system controls would be OK if you could access them by touching the screen, but using keys and buttons is very cumbersome. Fortunately, the voice control is above-average, so once you memorize the commands you need it's fairly easy to do what you need. Be aware that the step-in height is very high...about the same as our old Ford Expedition. Without running boards, it's a big step up to get in, but once you are in you won't mind!