2011 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL350 BlueTEC Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Mercedes-benz Gl-class - Consumer Reviews

2011 GL-Class Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GL-Class model:

Sort Reviews by

Very nearly perfect
By expdek

2011 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL350 BlueTEC 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 7A)

Having owned a variety of minivans and large SUV's over the years, we were looking at the new Dodge Durango. A trip to Carmax to check the trade value on our van allowed us to walk the lot and we were taken by a GL450. We wanted new, so went to the local MB dealer and drove the 2011 GL450. End of story, we were sold with the ride, handling, luxury, and style compared to anything we had ever seen. The dealer encouraged us to try a GL350 diesel, and that really made the deal so much better, to have this kind of performance with this kind of fuel economy.

Favorite Features

This car just makes you feel good driving it. Super-powerful, super-quiet, super-smooth, very luxurious, excellent seating for seven. Impressive wow-factor compared to any other full-size SUV on the market. On a recent 600-mile highway trip, I got almost 29mpg. Around town regularly returns 24mpg...measured. 30-gallon tank means very long time between fill-ups.

Suggested Improvements

As others have said, the COMAND system falls well short of the industry. I had streaming bluetooth audio standard in my 2007 Ford pickup but you can't get it here without paying extra. The system controls would be OK if you could access them by touching the screen, but using keys and buttons is very cumbersome. Fortunately, the voice control is above-average, so once you memorize the commands you need it's fairly easy to do what you need. Be aware that the step-in height is very high...about the same as our old Ford Expedition. Without running boards, it's a big step up to get in, but once you are in you won't mind!

New to MB
By srpastor1

2011 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL450 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

It's been a month since I traded my Lexus LS430 sedan for a 2011 GL 450 SUV. I researched the luxury SUV segment for more than 6 months. I ordered it with the P2 option, entertainment center and other luxury options. After 1000 miles, I realize that German engineering is very different from Japanese. The GL is very quiet, roomy and an attention getter. The drivetrain is excellent and smooth. It is awkward getting in and out of the cabin. Sitting high is excellent for urban driving. Overall, I like this vehicle but am still acclimating to MB luxury. It meets my needs for additional seating with a luxury nameplate. As I expected, the gas mileage is consistent with this segment.

Favorite Features

I like the excellent sound system. The styling is very impressive. Interior seating is comfortable. The multi-function steering wheel is very functional. The bluetooth phone programming is excellent and easy to use. Transmission is very smooth and shifts are imperceptible. The two sunroofs are great. Third row seating is definitely for adults. The power lift gate is a charmer. Plenty of space in the back for just about everything you can purchase.

Suggested Improvements

The NAV system screen is much too small and not user-friendly to program. On the other hand, the audio instructions are very good and precise. The standard seating material is hard and not attractive for this price point. The cruise control stalk placement is wrong and easily mistaken for the turn signal. At highway speeds, it is not as stable as I expected from MB. It seems floaty at speed. There is no place to store sunglasses. The dealer could not program the garage opener, after three attempts. I finally viewed the Mbrace video and programmed it myself.

Delightful Improvements
By beechtiger

2011 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL450 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

I was delighted with significant improvements in Mercedes GL450 in the last few years. The firm seats are comfortable for both short and long distance driving. As a previous Land Cruiser owner, I am mighy pleased with the third row seats in GL450 as compared to Land Cruiser. It was a very simple push-button to set up the third row seats.

Favorite Features

The favorite feature is the push button gears. For Park you just push a button to park without shifting any gears. Acceleration is good. Blind spot feature is also excellent.

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of any.

Seduced by Styling
By rcf8000

2011 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL450 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

The GL is a mixed bag of the great and not so great. The latter would include the ride quality and road noise, although my car has the 20 inch wheels and runflat tires, which may be worse than the standard 19 inch wheels. I find the seats to be a bit too firm, but then I find most luxury car seats to be too firm. The nav screen is a joke. It's too small, and the lettering is too small. And I can't read it at all when wearing sun glasses. But the guidance to programmed destinations works well. My car has the running boards, which make getting in and out somewhat awkward. They look good though!

Favorite Features

I especially like the styling. Other positives: build quality, cargo room, overall dimensions, a/c system, refined drivetrain, 3rd row seats, handling, braking, and steering. The blind spot assist really works great. Someday all cars will be required to have it, i predict.

Suggested Improvements

Besides the issues described above, I would suggest making the controls less complicated, moving the cruise control stalk, and improving the gas mileage.

Grey Ghost aka GL450
By terp97

2011 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL450 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

Turned in 08 for a new 11 and once again very happy. Navigation is improved but still short of Acura/Lexus. Rear Entertainment screens are nicer but placement is horrible. They should have stayin the headrest. DVD in the center counsel is great location and it would be nice to control the DVD playback from the command not just from one of two remotes. It would be nice if the 550 grill and fender flares could be had as in option. The grill is massive and really sets the GL off with out sucking up all that gas like the 550 not that the 450 is any better.

Favorite Features

Not sure if any one feature is my favorite but the GL has everything to offer in the right size and package. American SUVs are too big and unreliable and not a whole lot cheaper than the GL.

Suggested Improvements

Navigation, Rear Entertainment controls and screen location.

Goodbye Audi
By Dan

I had been driving an Audi a8l (2007) and a Ford escape hybrid (2008) I wanted to consolidate to 1 vehicle--it needed to be an upscale, fuel efficient, and fairly large SUV (I haave 3 dogs and no way were they getting into the Audi). I found that in 3 years my Audi had taken a $58,000 depreciation hit! Still I liked the q7 tdi, and had never owned a Mercedes--I was so put out by Audi, that I went across the street and fell in love with the gl 350 bluetec. Its sumptuous and amazingly comfortable interior, quiet, quiet ride, beautiful rear visibility and increased cargo over the q7 sold me. I love this car! I give it a thumbs up and [violative content deleted] to Audi!

Favorite Features

Power 3rd row seats--much more comfortable than Audi's--and completely disappear unlike the Escalade Blind Spot assist Mileage! (more than 24 mpg so far) Turning Radius Great looks (no pinched back end like Lexus and Audi) Saddle head rests in the back that so increase visibility! Cargo space

Suggested Improvements

Towing Hitch seems to come standard--I didn't need it Bigger sun roof

2011 GL 350 Bluetec
By Atlanta North

We just recently moved from a 2008 GL 320 CDI to the 2011 GL 350 Bluetec. The fit and finish and additional sound insulation in the 2011 are very noticeable. There are some nice feature upgrades from 2008 to 2011 such as bluetooth, voice control, HD radio etc. MB has definitely taken a step forward on what was already a great vehicle. The larger 20" tires on the '11 are definitely nicer than the 18" on the '08. We loved our previous GL and look forward to even better experience with our '11. In fact already the fuel economy seems slightly improved which was already impressive for such a large vehicle.

Favorite Features

Bluetooth, Bluetec and diesel economy, Voice control

Suggested Improvements

Make leather standard equipment. Blind spot detection should be standard on such a large vehicle. Still way to many options for a $72k+ vehicle.

American All-Star
By Zach Vannoy

2011 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL550 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

After coming from 2011 "American" Escalade (Made in Russia)I have realized that I have been missing out on the Best SUV for the last 4 years. Since 2006 I have been buying a Cadillac Escalade for me, and a ESV for my wife. The GL provides a replacement for both. The third row is larger then the ESV's yet the car itself is smaller then the regular Escalade. Its far more easy to navigate around town, provides a better ride,has more passing power,and looks better in and out. Test drove the new Infiniti QX and the Lexus Lx. The third row seat in both of them were far smaller, and didnt handle as good. The Qx did have a nicer center row r, but was inferior elsewhere. Very Pleased overall.

Favorite Features

Power Fold-Flat third row and the room in it. AWD is excellent in winter, and the massage feature is very nice.

Suggested Improvements

Second-Row adjustments would be nice,as well and cooled rear seats.