Used 2011 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GL-Class model:

Trouble some vehicle
By nafresh

2011 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL350 BlueTEC 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 7A)

I have 2011 GL Since 2013 now after 48 months Engine and transmission start leaking oil rear suspension airbag blasted at highway last year drive assisted sensor stop working, so much trouble spoke to several owners they confirm vehicle have lot of problems

nothing

Better reliability and dependability if so many troubles they Benz should recall and fix the problem

Dont but used
By mbpoorquality

2011 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL450 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

A used Mercedes, who brags about quality, should not need a new cylinder head at 65,000 miles. Running rough? When they do a compression test, dont be suprised if it is number 2 or number 4 on the passenger side. It will coast you $5000 and you can forget about warranty coverage. The electronics are way out of date. Save yourself money and frustration...do not buy used.

Very nearly perfect
By expdek

Having owned a variety of minivans and large SUV's over the years, we were looking at the new Dodge Durango. A trip to Carmax to check the trade value on our van allowed us to walk the lot and we were taken by a GL450. We wanted new, so went to the local MB dealer and drove the 2011 GL450. End of story, we were sold with the ride, handling, luxury, and style compared to anything we had ever seen. The dealer encouraged us to try a GL350 diesel, and that really made the deal so much better, to have this kind of performance with this kind of fuel economy.

This car just makes you feel good driving it. Super-powerful, super-quiet, super-smooth, very luxurious, excellent seating for seven. Impressive wow-factor compared to any other full-size SUV on the market. On a recent 600-mile highway trip, I got almost 29mpg. Around town regularly returns 24mpg...measured. 30-gallon tank means very long time between fill-ups.

As others have said, the COMAND system falls well short of the industry. I had streaming bluetooth audio standard in my 2007 Ford pickup but you can't get it here without paying extra. The system controls would be OK if you could access them by touching the screen, but using keys and buttons is very cumbersome. Fortunately, the voice control is above-average, so once you memorize the commands you need it's fairly easy to do what you need. Be aware that the step-in height is very high...about the same as our old Ford Expedition. Without running boards, it's a big step up to get in, but once you are in you won't mind!

New to MB
By srpastor1

2011 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL450 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

It's been a month since I traded my Lexus LS430 sedan for a 2011 GL 450 SUV. I researched the luxury SUV segment for more than 6 months. I ordered it with the P2 option, entertainment center and other luxury options. After 1000 miles, I realize that German engineering is very different from Japanese. The GL is very quiet, roomy and an attention getter. The drivetrain is excellent and smooth. It is awkward getting in and out of the cabin. Sitting high is excellent for urban driving. Overall, I like this vehicle but am still acclimating to MB luxury. It meets my needs for additional seating with a luxury nameplate. As I expected, the gas mileage is consistent with this segment.

I like the excellent sound system. The styling is very impressive. Interior seating is comfortable. The multi-function steering wheel is very functional. The bluetooth phone programming is excellent and easy to use. Transmission is very smooth and shifts are imperceptible. The two sunroofs are great. Third row seating is definitely for adults. The power lift gate is a charmer. Plenty of space in the back for just about everything you can purchase.

The NAV system screen is much too small and not user-friendly to program. On the other hand, the audio instructions are very good and precise. The standard seating material is hard and not attractive for this price point. The cruise control stalk placement is wrong and easily mistaken for the turn signal. At highway speeds, it is not as stable as I expected from MB. It seems floaty at speed. There is no place to store sunglasses. The dealer could not program the garage opener, after three attempts. I finally viewed the Mbrace video and programmed it myself.

Delightful Improvements
By beechtiger

2011 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL450 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

I was delighted with significant improvements in Mercedes GL450 in the last few years. The firm seats are comfortable for both short and long distance driving. As a previous Land Cruiser owner, I am mighy pleased with the third row seats in GL450 as compared to Land Cruiser. It was a very simple push-button to set up the third row seats.

The favorite feature is the push button gears. For Park you just push a button to park without shifting any gears. Acceleration is good. Blind spot feature is also excellent.

Can't think of any.