Used 2010 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV Consumer Reviews - 14 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV - Consumer Reviews

2010 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV

View reviews for a specific GL-Class model:

Worst vehicle I've ever owned!
By Brian Rocha

2010 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV GL450 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

Thought I did the smart thing trading my LR3 in for this. Boy was I wrong. Desite Land Rovers reputation for poor reliability, mine had no major issues. Bought this with 60,000 miles on it and a 4 year warranty (thank God I did). Power liftgate only lowers when it feels like it, oil leaks, DEF tank heater, oth wheel bearings, engine mounts, transmission mounts, transmission valve body, clunking fr front suspension that dealer still hasnt fixed, second row seat back will not go back up because center seatbelt will not unlock and allow the belt to come out. Fuel economy is dismal for a diesel. I get about 20-21 mpg as long as I don't go above 75mph. Shifts at high RPM, anything more than driving like a granny makes the rpm go up to 3,000+. Have to manually upshift with the paddles, which are very slow to respond and sometimes don't respond. When i first take off in first headed to work, the engine spins up as it shifts to second followed by a jerk. Only does this once during the first drive of the morning, then its fine. I've owned an ML320 that was trouble free. Wish i could get rid of this thing, as it has given me more trouble than every other vehicle I've ever owned in my life combined. My LR3 rode alot smoother, and the suspension is so freaking slow to raise and lower. My Land Rover raised and lowered in just a couple seconds (less than 5 seconds literally!). This thing takes a minute or two and raises very very slowly, amd when it is raised it rides horribly like it has no suspension. The Land Rover rode good even in off road extended height. Was getting about 26 mpg hwy for the first few months, now im lucky if I get over 21. Only thing good about this is the compliments people give. If they only knew. Last Mercedes I'll ever buy. Think I'll go Japanese as they are far less troublesome but also BORING! The LR3 also held bigger cargo, as the roof is taller and the opening is wider despite being a more narrow vehicle than the GL. If only the LR3/LR4 had a diesel because the fuel economy was why i traded it in for the GL.

The worst car I have ever owned.
By cm8112

2010 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV GL450 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

We purchased a brand new 2010 Mercedes-Benz GL450. Fully Loaded, including entertainment and towing packages. In January 2014 our problems started. The car had just a little over 60K miles. Airmatics were gone, one after another within days. One of them even blew up. 4 Electrical problems, including radio, and door locks. All
repairs costed more than $4,500 within 6 months, and it continued until we had enough. It just started to fall apart after 60K miles. I gave it away for $26K. Lost almost 50 grand in 4 years. I was lucky with that history of repairs. Do yourself a favor get a Japanese car. Our time, hard earned money and peace of mind are valuable. Stay away of this car and brand.

Make reliable cars please. These are high end vehicles, people can't continue blowing money and time at the service department. Budget vehicles last longer.

Great SUV
By mike

2010 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV GL450 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

Better than Cadillac Escalade I had. Rides and handles way better. Easy to drive and get in and out. Easier to load cargo in rear too.

Airmatic suspension led running lights chrome roof rack

Bigger navigation screen bigger side mirrors updated dash more wood and chrome inside nicer wheels

Flawless
By Tom Smith

2010 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV GL450 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

This car is simply flawless. I have yet to find fault with it-The seats are wonderful, the ride is excellent, and the handling is amazing for such a large SUV. Test drove Q7, R Class, Escalade, Escalade ESV, and QX, only the ESV had a roomier third row, and the q7's 3rd row was smaller then my wife's BMW x3. The Escalade's dash was a little nicer but it looked to flashy and no fold flat third row. The heated and cooled cup holders were very nice though and wish this car had them.Overall this car is perfect, and would highly recommend to anyone with a large family. Its served mine of 7 and 2 dogs very well, so well in fact I'm selling my wife's x3 for one of these. Will be buying 2 more in a year.

Ride quality and fold flat third row. Excellent fuel economy, better then my previous BMW 760Li. The handling is nearly as good to, but not quite, but what do you expect from such a large SUV

Less mushy Brakes and easier upshifts. Heated, cooled, and massaging seats all around. Front, side, and rear parking sensors. Heated and cooled cup holders. Adaptive Headlights and night vision. Adaptive Cruise Control. New dash design.

Amazing Car
By Bob Whalen

2010 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV GL550 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

At first I thought transferring from an Escalade to a 550 would be dumb, but i am wrong. The fold flat third row is a charm and it handles way better. Way more roomy third row. The only thing I miss is the heated and cooled cup holders.

Navigation and interior design.

Adaptive Headlights and Night vision. Front, Side, and Rear parking sensors. Refrigerator option. Heated, Cooled, And massaging first and second row seats. Fixed 2nd row center consul. Heated and cooled cup holders. Pannera sunroof.