Used 2010 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GL-Class model:

Great riding vehicle, keep your checkbook close by
By Jeff S

2010 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL350 BlueTEC 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 7A)

If you are looking for a stylish, spacious, comfortable SUV with good highway mileage, this would be it! It took me six months to find this vehicle with the diesel engine and particular bells and whistles. We typically range between 24-28 mpg when we are on the highway using the cruise control, which happens to be one of the easiest cruise controls I have ever used, great design. My wife still thinks she is dreaming as the owner of this SUV and loves it more than any other car she has owned. Great space for sports equipment and plenty of passengers (the 9 yr. old loves his own back seat section with panorama moonroof). Now....the downsides! This vehicle was MB serviced by the previous two owners as if it was one of the family. Warranty up to 70,000 miles, when we bought it, and still runs like a top. On our 2nd long trip, only two weeks after buying it, the heating element for the AdBlu feature (Blutec) needed replacement, $1700 out the gate as the MB would not allow us to extend the warranty at the time of the repair, but the dealer gave us a small break on the price and tried to accommodate the situation. Servicing to do the brakes and for MB parts is not a cheap venture no matter what mechanic you use. Next issue was the air suspension, which we were warned about before purchasing. Front, driver side was "sagging" due to this malfunctioning and that part was $650 with labor we were about $1,000 with a very fair mechanic. I am sure the other side will go out at some point through normal wear and tear. Without the center knob to control the electronic components (phone, Nav., radio, etc.) like my other MB, this makes it very awkward to control and enter addresses. Very poor design on this component. Long and the short of it, we will bear through the expenses, diesel is cheaper for now, 20% more fuel efficient than gas, we expect to go many miles on this engine, good lines on the design and most importantly, the wife still loves it.

Mercedes - not the quality people have come to expect
By cmnrs4

Need a SUV that would carry all 6 people for the many road trips and small trips we take together. It also had to be nice enough for my wife to drive by herself with decent gas mileage. I wanted this car for these reasons: - 7 passenger seating - luxury amenities - AWD - gas mileage - reliability & quality - storage space The GL delivered on some of these but missed BIG on the these items: quality and reliability. Had a PPI done Had this car for 1 year and 3 months, it was in the shop almost every other month. Numerous issues: - oil leaks - stalled and stop running (would not restart, needed tow) - when using cruise control, car enter "limit mode" - COST OF REPAIRS!

Top features are: - heated 2 row seats - power 3rd row seats which fold flat - heated steering wheel - gas mileage - 3rd row seating space - parking sensors - digital radio - faux leather - SD card reader

Things Mercedes needs to address: - oil leaks on the diesel motors - large consumption of AdBlue fluid - reliability, if you are paying $70k for a vehicle it should not leave you stranded - air filter should not cause SUV to not start - Cost for parts and service, $5k to fix an oil leak is ridiculous. That is almost the price of a new motor. - bluetooth streaming should be offered - large storage compartments - better rear camera view - iPod/iPhone connector should be closer to the driver - rear entertainment system is difficult to use/operate - cruise control issue

GL-350 - Worst Can of my life !
By deninfiniti

Let me start off by saying that when I test drove my 2010 GL-350 I fell in love with it. The engine was smooth, transmission great and interior quality was fantastic, so I went ahead and purchased it. Despite having 90k miles on it (I have had diesels before and run them until 150k easily and know they can go much higher so the miles didn't worry me) I thought it was as sound decision as I have also had 2 Mercedes before and loved them. Well after 4 Check engine lights (Blue Tech low, Fuel line break, Blue Tech heater replacement and an O-ring failure on the turbo) and over $3000 in 4 months I finally traded it in for a new Japanese car. My advice, DO NOT buy and older Mercedes !

Engine smoothness, Interior, Size, MPG.

Quality of components to improve longevity. I even test drove an 2010 ML-350 as a potential replacement and the Check Engine Light came on, that really put me off Mercedes for life !!

The worst car I have ever owned.
By cm8112

2010 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL450 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

We purchased a brand new 2010 Mercedes-Benz GL450. Fully Loaded, including entertainment and towing packages. In January 2014 our problems started. The car had just a little over 60K miles. Airmatics were gone, one after another within days. One of them even blew up. 4 Electrical problems, including radio, and door locks. All repairs costed more than $4,500 within 6 months, and it continued until we had enough. It just started to fall apart after 60K miles. I gave it away for $26K. Lost almost 50 grand in 4 years. I was lucky with that history of repairs. Do yourself a favor get a Japanese car. Our time, hard earned money and peace of mind are valuable. Stay away of this car and brand.

Make reliable cars please. These are high end vehicles, people can't continue blowing money and time at the service department. Budget vehicles last longer.

A Diesel All the Way
By Sawjai

Have taken vehicle on two long haul trips. One to Vancouver and one to LA and averaged over 25 mpg. The 600 mile range at least for me is more like 700 to 800 miles when driving less aggressively. LA trip hauled enough stuff for 4 adults and a newborn and everyone was comfortable. I wish that the rear two rows had legroom adjustments, but there is still a lot for a 3 row SUV. Power is excellent for passing, could use more off the line go power. The brakes have an initial feel of mush, but the stopping power is excellent. Saved me a few times, but didn't save the guy that rear-ended me. Built like a tank, little to no damage to my vehicle bumper, but totaled front panel of rear car.

Keyless Go, Power Rear Seats, Parktronic helps (wish for better indicators), Voice Command for Nav

Navigation System (Touchscreen and Data Entry, Voice command good, but sometimes need to key in because of baby sleeping), Larger Side Mirrors, More Space behind 3rd row when up, Rear-Seat Entertainment controls without having to use remote.