Used 2010 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Mercedes-benz Gl-class - Consumer Reviews

2010 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class

View reviews for a specific GL-Class model:

Mercedes - not the quality people have come to expect
By cmnrs4

2010 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL350 BlueTEC 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 7A)

Need a SUV that would carry all 6 people for the many road trips and small trips we take together. It also had to be nice enough for my wife to drive by herself with decent gas mileage. I wanted this car for these reasons: - 7 passenger seating - luxury amenities - AWD - gas mileage - reliability & quality - storage space The GL delivered on some of these but missed BIG on the these items: quality and reliability. Had a PPI done Had this car for 1 year and 3 months, it was in the shop almost every other month. Numerous issues: - oil leaks - stalled and stop running (would not restart, needed tow) - when using cruise control, car enter "limit mode" - COST OF REPAIRS!

Favorite Features

Top features are: - heated 2 row seats - power 3rd row seats which fold flat - heated steering wheel - gas mileage - 3rd row seating space - parking sensors - digital radio - faux leather - SD card reader

Suggested Improvements

Things Mercedes needs to address: - oil leaks on the diesel motors - large consumption of AdBlue fluid - reliability, if you are paying $70k for a vehicle it should not leave you stranded - air filter should not cause SUV to not start - Cost for parts and service, $5k to fix an oil leak is ridiculous. That is almost the price of a new motor. - bluetooth streaming should be offered - large storage compartments - better rear camera view - iPod/iPhone connector should be closer to the driver - rear entertainment system is difficult to use/operate - cruise control issue

GL-350 - Worst Can of my life !
By deninfiniti

Let me start off by saying that when I test drove my 2010 GL-350 I fell in love with it. The engine was smooth, transmission great and interior quality was fantastic, so I went ahead and purchased it. Despite having 90k miles on it (I have had diesels before and run them until 150k easily and know they can go much higher so the miles didn't worry me) I thought it was as sound decision as I have also had 2 Mercedes before and loved them. Well after 4 Check engine lights (Blue Tech low, Fuel line break, Blue Tech heater replacement and an O-ring failure on the turbo) and over $3000 in 4 months I finally traded it in for a new Japanese car. My advice, DO NOT buy and older Mercedes !

Favorite Features

Engine smoothness, Interior, Size, MPG.

Suggested Improvements

Quality of components to improve longevity. I even test drove an 2010 ML-350 as a potential replacement and the Check Engine Light came on, that really put me off Mercedes for life !!

The worst car I have ever owned.
By cm8112

2010 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL450 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

We purchased a brand new 2010 Mercedes-Benz GL450. Fully Loaded, including entertainment and towing packages. In January 2014 our problems started. The car had just a little over 60K miles. Airmatics were gone, one after another within days. One of them even blew up. 4 Electrical problems, including radio, and door locks. All repairs costed more than $4,500 within 6 months, and it continued until we had enough. It just started to fall apart after 60K miles. I gave it away for $26K. Lost almost 50 grand in 4 years. I was lucky with that history of repairs. Do yourself a favor get a Japanese car. Our time, hard earned money and peace of mind are valuable. Stay away of this car and brand.

Suggested Improvements

Make reliable cars please. These are high end vehicles, people can't continue blowing money and time at the service department. Budget vehicles last longer.

A Diesel All the Way
By Sawjai

Have taken vehicle on two long haul trips. One to Vancouver and one to LA and averaged over 25 mpg. The 600 mile range at least for me is more like 700 to 800 miles when driving less aggressively. LA trip hauled enough stuff for 4 adults and a newborn and everyone was comfortable. I wish that the rear two rows had legroom adjustments, but there is still a lot for a 3 row SUV. Power is excellent for passing, could use more off the line go power. The brakes have an initial feel of mush, but the stopping power is excellent. Saved me a few times, but didn't save the guy that rear-ended me. Built like a tank, little to no damage to my vehicle bumper, but totaled front panel of rear car.

Favorite Features

Keyless Go, Power Rear Seats, Parktronic helps (wish for better indicators), Voice Command for Nav

Suggested Improvements

Navigation System (Touchscreen and Data Entry, Voice command good, but sometimes need to key in because of baby sleeping), Larger Side Mirrors, More Space behind 3rd row when up, Rear-Seat Entertainment controls without having to use remote.

Diesel Fun
By Kenneth Miller

I always wanted a turbo-diesel and the solid MB 350 Bluetec is an ideal vehicle for hauling people or material. Mileage is better than advertised and features are terrific. The deal I received was great and we really enjoy this terrific SUV, made in Alabama.

Favorite Features

No key required to start, stop or open. Voice command for navigation, radio, etc. is a nice feature and back-up camera is really good. Parktronic helps with parking with lights and sound.

Suggested Improvements

More power and an eight-speed automatic.