Used 2009 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL450 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GL-Class model:

Worst car experience
By dianeh1

2009 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL450 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

Will never own a Mercedes again. Non-stop money-pit from the day I bought it to the day I sold it. Beware the air suspension on Mercedes-Benz. Mine went "out" every six months or so. Paint peeled off around the windows just when it was out of warranty. I estimate I spent $6,000 a year in repairs. It is also a huge gas guzzler.

GL450 Falling apart at 65K miles
By beachbenz

2009 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL450 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

I've got a 2009 GL450 with 65K miles. My wife drives it for light suburban driving only. In general, we like the vehicle, but it has been in the shop at least every three months. We are now out of warranty and have had a flood of issues in the past month. Three weeks ago the driver-side door lock mechanism went out. The audio (radio, phone, everything) went out last week and the system needed to be reset. This week, both front struts went out and nearly killed her (car was out of control). The bill for the struts and the doorlock is $5K, but the dealer offered to pick-up some of the tab. I've owned a lot of new mercedes, but won't buy another one.

Love It
By Sajan

2009 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL450 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

This is my first Benz, dreamed for long time, before I test drive, I went test drive the FX50, Q7, and BMW, didn't look at the LX570, didn't any deal at the time, GX470 was too old. But IMO, i like the GL is much better than these. SO far its good, no problems at all. I love new NAV, only problem so far I find, when i am on call through bluetooth, if i turn off the car and open the door it will drop the call, it didn't do it on my 2008 G35. that is only -ive. when u buy this SUV, make sure u get P2 and appreance pkg, its very good

New command system

Bluetooth

Love It!
By heatkar

2009 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL450 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

This is my 2nd GL450. Hated the old one because of its many problems, but what can one expect when you are buying one of the first new models on the road. After driving an Odyssey for 2 years we decided to go for it again and I couldn't be more pleased. They have definitely improved a lot of things since 07. The ride is awesome, love the 20" rims, better nav, better rear DVDs, keyless go. I really love the running boards to help the kids get in on their own. Gas mileage ok, but what do you expect from a powerful SUV. This is a keeper.

Keyless go, better radio and nav, running boards, 20" rims, DVD system, bluetooth

Future model should be slightly wider to accomodate three car seats in 2nd row. Difficult for a mom with 3 young ones to fold seats foward to get kids into 3rd row. Possible 2nd row captain chair option.