Used 2009 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Mercedes-benz Gl-class - Consumer Reviews

2009 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class

View reviews for a specific GL-Class model:

Really enjoy it!!
By Michael Wagner

2009 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL550 4dr SUV AWD (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

I now have 94K on the vehicle and it is still great. I have done most of the work on the car since I like doing that and German cars are very straight forward to work on. I have only had to do brakes and oil and tires so far. Having an intermittent issue with the air suspension now, but will figure it out and fix it. The system is pretty simple and Arnott makes a good replacement for it that has very good reviews. Went to the Continentals for tires...a little stiffer, but so much quieter than the Perelli's. I've taken it on long trips, and into the mountains skiing in heavy snow. It handles everything quite well. They don't makes chains for the 20" wheels, but didn't need them.

Favorite Features

Very comfortable SUV and adults can sit in the 3rd seat without crushing their legs or having their knees in their chest. The handling is great for a large SUV.

Suggested Improvements

Even though it is a 2009, some of the technology seems dated for that year. Nav system could be better for finding past addresses or entering an address. No Bluetooth for playing music...only the phone. Not sure why they wouldn't have done both versus having to deal with the cord in the glove box.

Worst car experience
By dianeh1

2009 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL450 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

Will never own a Mercedes again. Non-stop money-pit from the day I bought it to the day I sold it. Beware the air suspension on Mercedes-Benz. Mine went "out" every six months or so. Paint peeled off around the windows just when it was out of warranty. I estimate I spent $6,000 a year in repairs. It is also a huge gas guzzler.

GL450 Falling apart at 65K miles
By beachbenz

2009 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL450 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

I've got a 2009 GL450 with 65K miles. My wife drives it for light suburban driving only. In general, we like the vehicle, but it has been in the shop at least every three months. We are now out of warranty and have had a flood of issues in the past month. Three weeks ago the driver-side door lock mechanism went out. The audio (radio, phone, everything) went out last week and the system needed to be reset. This week, both front struts went out and nearly killed her (car was out of control). The bill for the struts and the doorlock is $5K, but the dealer offered to pick-up some of the tab. I've owned a lot of new mercedes, but won't buy another one.

Has bad side too
By Agie

2009 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL320 BlueTEC 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 7A)

I have this vehicle for over 2 months and stumbled into a common mistake and filled up with gas. Costing around $800 to remove the gas when I did not started the car and realize while fueling. If you start it may cost you $6000-$8000. Very delicate fuel and exhaust system.

Favorite Features

9" dual screen, key less go.

Suggested Improvements

regular tires, Xenon should be standard, 3 zone climate control should be std. (I have in my 06 odyssey)

What a SUV Should Be
By DieselBenzGL

The GL is a perfectly sized SUV. It is large enough to carry 6 people comfortably yet not so big that it looks like a behemoth coming down the road. Its size makes it very maneuverable and easy to drive for such a large vehicle. The GL320 Bluetec uses approximately 30% less fuel and polutes 30% less than other large SUVs. 500 miles in the city and 600 miles on the freeway are the normal fillup intervals. On the freeway, it handles better than most sedans. The steering is not loose but at the same time isn't so tight that the vehicle swerves every time you adjust the HVAC. The rearview mirrors were made larger in 2009. Any larger and they would look out of proportion to the vehicle.

Favorite Features

Interior is beautiful. The Harmon Kardon is the best OEM stereo I have heard. The ride is incredible and has a perfect blend of comfort and firmness. Great sound of the diesel engine at idle and acceleration which turns completely quiet at cruise. The engine power is a dream once above 15 mph.

Suggested Improvements

A single large DVD screen overhead so that both second and third rows can view a video. The diesel engine in the GL is sluggish from 0-15 mph. You think twice before you pull out in front of an oncoming car when making a left hand turn. This takes getting used to.