It's not that bad if you're previous car was a Range Rover:)
By swfreeride on
2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL320 CDI 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 7A)
Trust me when I say all European luxury SUV's have these kinds of issues. My previous car was a Range Rover HSE and a V8 Tuareg before that. Both had multiple air suspension issues, engine oil leaks, sensor failures, steering column replacements, etc... Friends with X5's don't fair well either. My RR even needed a drive shaft replacement. Fact of life unfortunately, if you want the luxury and style of the Euro SUV's the price you pay is well beyond the window sticker. The key is to enjoying the vehicle is pick the brand with a nearby dealership that treats you well and expect to spend your free time there:) - I tried the Lexus route for a year, just too bland and predictable.
Favorite Features
Styling, quality of materials, performance, comfort.
Suggested Improvements
Build quality seems great given the fit and finish, so it seems the major issues are with the EU suppliers of system components and the over-engineered systems. Most of the EU cars source from Bosch and other EU parts companies for control systems, sensors, etc... hence the same issues across all brands. I wish the EU makers would maintain focus on design and quality whilst reducing the engineering complexity to improve reliability.