Used 2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GL-Class model:

It's OK
By It's OK.

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL320 CDI 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 7A)

I've had the wagon for about six months now and it's a good car. I haven't had any problems to speak of. The seats are firm, but not the most comfortable, I could drag a house down the street with this thing, but won't any races, and my mileage is excellent (avg. 21mpg hwy/cty), all typical of a diesel. That said, everything electric about it is inferior to the domestic wagons. The power lift- gate is slow and doesn't always close, the nav. is a pain to use and slow in responding, the rain sensing wipers typically do what they want, even on a sunny day, and the front parking "see dead people" and want to warn me about it. If you're thinking about a 4wd wagon, check out the Flex, cool & cheap.

Sirius/XM radio, windshield washer button, front ambient lighting, the sound of the diesel engine when you punch it, the red button that sometimes closes the lift-gate, the sound of the nav. in Spanish, the white stitching on the black leather interior & dash, big brake pedal, excellent high beams

Quit letting the Germans pick the seat comfort. Why can't we have the base model like the rest of the world? Go back to the mechanical shifter in the center console. I miss the hood ornament, bring that back along with the 80's style driver headrests. Bigger rearview mirrors. Huge blind spots.

The perfect SUV
By Andy

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL320 CDI 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 7A)

This is my wife/family car, we owned this GL320 CDI for more than a year and I love this SUV. Every time I drive it, I enjoy the ride. I drive a 335 convertible, but the handling, feeling and cornering of this truck is incredible. I strongly recommend this vehicle for big families, and if it's diesel more.

Self leveling, paddle shifts, the torque of the engine is incredible. All electric features first quality.

AMG version, navigation not friendly. DVD bad access.

Nice Ride
By Satisfied

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL450 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

Drive it and you'll likely buy it. It must be the best riding SUV on the market, bar none. Love the Airmatic suspension as it really soaks up the rough roads in PA. Speaking of rough roads, not one rattle. Love that. Have only owned for 1 month, but so far the love affair continues. The 19" Continentals are a bit noisier than the 18" standard Michelins, but this is a very very quiet car. And by car, I mean smooth riding SUV. Very satisfied.

Ride comfort, handles like a much smaller vehicle, interior stitching on black interior, standard features and even 2 years later is still somewhat exclusive. You don't see yourself coming and going.

Better nav, but then again it's German, not Japanese.

I traded my 2007 GL450 for '08 GL550
By hbmciver

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL550 4dr SUV AWD (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

Best decision I made; to upgrade to the GL550. Unless something else comes on the market I can't imagine owning anything else. The MB GL550 has it all, comfort, quality inside and out! I'll trade in 2010 if there are upgrades, otherwise my '08 actually gets better gas mileage hwy than it's rated for. I get 19-21 mpg, and the smoothest ride imaginable!

Smooth ride, quiet, all features, large tires, reliability, concierge service. Acceleration is unreal.

The navigation system could be upgraded.

Pathetic
By Fed up

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL320 CDI 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 7A)

The infotainment system is the worst I have seen in a luxury car. The controls are poorly designed and hard to use. The integration of the system is one of the worst I have seen. Tire pressure sensor is the dumbest I have seen. It tells you that pressure is low but you have to figure out in which tire and by how much. Many of the components failed in the first year of ownership requiring several visits to the dealer. Oil level sensor was replaced twice within the first 2 months. Tires and brakes wore out before 20k miles. Blue tooth adapter is a $500 option, but is not well integrated. Mine failed after 12 months and 6 days. I will never again purchase a Mercedes.

Fantastic fuel economy for a people mover.

Put the DVD player in an accessible spot. Also improve quality of electronics integration (ie. Bluetooth, speakers, navigation, radio, satellite radio)