2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GL-Class model:
Love this vehicle!
By summergirl on 03/24/08 16:03 PM (PDT)

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL450 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

Having owned 2 different Lexus SUVs and liking them, I can honestly say that this MB GL 470 is by far the best vehicle I've owned. Just the right size for me. Not big, but roomy; not small, but manageable. It's a gorgeous vehicle, great sound system, incredible grade of leather, lacks nothing. Better on mileage than the Lexus GX I previously owned. It's solid and handsome. I travel to my son's home once a month, which is a 450 mile each way trip and I could not be more comfortable. I absolutely love this car. Cannot recommend it enough!

A gas guzzler, but oh it's so sweet!
By fusiondave on 02/25/08 20:03 PM (PST)

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL450 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

Just had it for about 3 weeks now, and it's so sweet to drive! The exterior styling is gorgeous & although it is a big car, it doesn't look like it. Gas mileage is averaging about 15MPG, but hey, I guess I knew what I was getting into from the getgo. The V8 engine is very quiet, and it seems to be more than adequate to be able to handle the 7000lb weight without any problem. Compared to the X5 I used to drive, it's a little mushy in handling, but it still a joy. The 3rd row seat is great for my kids (the real reason for my purchase). The seats are comfortable all around, and there's plenty of interior space.

I traded an 07 Lex GX 470
By Charles on 02/09/08 12:10 PM (PST)

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL320 CDI 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 7A)

I traded in my Lexus with only 14 K miles. I just stopped to look at the new GL class as we wanted a larger vehicle. I am very very impresed. Don't let the low entry price of the 320 fool you, mine decked was 74 K. Was it worth it yes. I can't advise on long term reliability or build, but for 2 months my judgment indicates MB is back. I get 26 miles to the gal. I towed my boat yesterday ( 5K lbs ) no problem. Yes I am very happy except 1. outside mirrors too small, the cruise control is in the wrong place, add easy exit seats that more back and down ( like cad escalade ) plenty of power, 26 mpg, full time 4wd .

The Germans have done it again
By tdiesel on 01/09/08 17:34 PM (PST)

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL320 CDI 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 7A)

It's a Mercedes and it holds up to it's name. I test drove the Range Rover, Infiniti QX56 and the Escalade. None of which come even close to comfort and performance. I opted for the GL320 CDI, which is the turbo diesel and for an almost 3 ton truck I get between 24 and 29mpg(The Escalade gets between 12 and 18mpg). The interior design is truly stunning and it has more features than you'll ever use.

Fun to drive
By Don on 01/02/08 12:45 PM (PST)

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL320 CDI 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 7A)

Just picked up the GL CDI last month. So far it was worth the 4+ month wait for the CDI. Great value and priced near the ML gas loaded. Just done the second tank and nearing 900 kilometers (Canada). Lots of power/torque. Great ride. We also have a SL550.....another great MB

The Best SUV I've ever owned
By jluna on 12/16/07 19:07 PM (PST)

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL450 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

Leave it to MB. They hit the nail on the head with this car. I wanted the CDI, but it is not yet available in California. After having owned a Range Rover, a 4Runner and a Cayenne, I can say this is the best SUV out there. If not for the 911 Porsche, probably the best car out there.

Excellent Car!
By Mom2Boys on 11/28/07 20:45 PM (PST)

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL550 4dr SUV AWD (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

I have had the car for about a month and could not be happier. I have had a couple of Navigators and looked at it again before buying the GL 550 - there was no comparison. Quite simply, this is the best driving car I have ever owned or driven.

GL 320 vs. Buick Enclave
By rrtker on 11/11/07 06:48 AM (PST)

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL320 CDI 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 7A)

I purchased an Acrtic White GL320 on 10/31/07. I love the vehicle and overall the fuel economy of the diesel is meeting my expectations. Now that I own both the MB and an '08 Enclave I can honestly say that GM has a winner on its hands. The MB certainly has some enticing things including the diesel offering, a firmer ride, etc. But dollar for dollar the Buick is pretty hard to beat. If they would simply upgrade the quality of some of their plastics and the fuel economy, I would be hard pressed to choose one over the other.

In Love with my GL 320 CDI
By pollyspop on 10/31/07 19:10 PM (PDT)

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL320 CDI 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 7A)

Traded from a Yukon XL. I pull a 4000 lb boat and wanted to go greener. 23 mpg my first 2000 miles compared to 15 mpg with the Yukon. And all this Luxury! I bought the Premium 1 pkg, Trailer Hitch (which is very unabtrusive),19" wheel pkg,I-Pod Plug, Side rails and chrome fog lights. Power and Acceleration are Not an issue with this vehicle. I know there will be a larger diesel engine soon...I will not need it. I find the Ultra Low Sulfur fuel everywhere.

Loving it
By ADNoVa on 09/28/07 15:04 PM (PDT)

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL320 CDI 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 7A)

Picked up the GL 320 about two weeks ago and couldn't be happier. Got rid of an XC 90 over size and quality issues. Compared to the GL, the XC90 feels absolutely asthmatic. Love the power and torque of the diesel. It's a little noisy in first gear but it's no worse than the whine and groan of the Volvo. I drove every full size (not giant size) SUV and nothing in this class compares to the GL in terms of space and comfort. Getting 23 mpg blended around town is a happy bonus. Drove the V8. Love the sound and it's faster overall, but around town with kids, not worth the fuel economy trade off.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.