2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class Consumer Review: 2013 was a very Bad Year, and

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class Diesel - Consumer Review

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class Diesel

2013 was a very Bad Year, and 2015 wasn't good.
By cc57 on

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL320 CDI 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 7A)

Purchased new, our 2008 GL320 ate us out of house and home in 2013. When it hit 80,000 miles, we had multiple, expensive repairs with each being about $1,500 to $1,800. In this order, left front air strut replaced, turbocharger replaced, fuel pump replaced, right front air strut and air compensator valve replaced. Both the turbo and fuel pump failures left us stranded and required towing it to the dealer. Unfortunately, we did not purchase the extended warranty as I thought that a diesel would be bulletproof. Obviously, I was very wrong.
In 2015, we had to replace both rear air struts and a leaky fuel injector that was causing strong fuel odors inside and outside.
And since 2015 we've been experiencing a strong exhaust smell inside the vehicle, when stopped, even when the AC recirculation switch is on. I've had the exhaust smell investigated multiple times by a local Bosch certified auto shop to no avail.
My tire dealer is looking at that again today while it's up on the lift and if they don't find anything, I'll take it to the dealer next.

• Outward visibility
  • Active safety
  • Rain snow traction
  • Parking aids

• Usb ports
  • Bluetooth

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review
By 280slbuff
on 05/19/14 12:51 PM (PDT)

I have a 2008 GL320cdi (bought at 57000 miles in 2010) sight unseen and have doubled the mileage since. Aside from regular maintenance I have replaced back shocks, exhaust sensor and intake air sensor with total cost under $3000.00. The vehicle needed an alignment badly when I purchased it ($140). Small power steering leak was sealed with Lucas product - saved $600 repair bill for new seals. I drive very conservatively - at 115,000 miles still have original brake pads - fuel mileage frequently exceeds EPA estimates by 5-10%. I am pleased with the comfort and handling qualities of this vehicle. Users manual contains more information than I need - GPS is cumbersome to set but functions well.