Used 2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL450 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GL-Class model:

It's not that bad if you're previous car was a Range Rover:)
By swfreeride

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV GL450 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

Trust me when I say all European luxury SUV's have these kinds of issues. My previous car was a Range Rover HSE and a V8 Tuareg before that. Both had multiple air suspension issues, engine oil leaks, sensor failures, steering column replacements, etc... Friends with X5's don't fair well either. My RR even needed a drive shaft replacement. Fact of life unfortunately, if you want the luxury and style of the Euro SUV's the price you pay is well beyond the window sticker. The key is to enjoying the vehicle is pick the brand with a nearby dealership that treats you well and expect to spend your free time there:) - I tried the Lexus route for a year, just too bland and predictable.

Styling, quality of materials, performance, comfort.

Build quality seems great given the fit and finish, so it seems the major issues are with the EU suppliers of system components and the over-engineered systems. Most of the EU cars source from Bosch and other EU parts companies for control systems, sensors, etc... hence the same issues across all brands. I wish the EU makers would maintain focus on design and quality whilst reducing the engineering complexity to improve reliability.

Good looks - Inferior Quality Electronic
By ChildsPlay

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV GL450 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

My spouse & I both own SUVs. He drives a Lexus GX470 and I the GL450. The GL450 is a competent vehicle with ample cargo capacity for transporting our large dogs & medical equip. However, I have had to make numerous trips to the dealership to remedy electronic and suspension issues. I do feel very safe inside the vehicle. However, I must admit that my husband's Lexus seems to handle the snow better than my GL and his vehicle has been completely problem free. I have trepidations regarding the cost of maintaining and repairing this vehicle once the warranty expires. The Navigation system and bluetooth integration are vastly inferior to the Lexus.

Ride, cargo space, acceleration, handling are all good. Not as smooth a ride as the Lexus GX470, but still good.

Gas mileage poor. Electronic system of inferior quality. Navigation system archaic (takes 2-3 times longer to input address then with a Lexus system). Side mirrors too small. Seats too firm. For this price I should not expect frequent visits to the repair shop. Study Lexus electronics and improve

Not so happy with my GL450
By TEaves

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV GL450 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

I haven't been as satisfied with this Mercedes purchase. I've had the car in the shop over 18 times since I bought it for various annoyances including the pump that raises the vehicle on difficult terrain, the hatch latch, the motion/obstacle sensor system, etc. The leather interior stains easily, even from picking up color from clothing. And the customer service at Mercedes Benz could care less so I'll be moving on to something else after I get a few kids off to college.

Best for tall people
By Tall One

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV GL450 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

Finally a vehicle for folks over 6'3" tall.I am 6'8" tall and this is the only vehicle that even came close to comfortable all things considered. No sedan was even close. Great mileage and is the fastest vehicle 0-60 that I or any of my friends have ever seen. 20K miles so far. Tires are still good.Only problem was a fuel sensor to replace. We are leasing this one. Plan to buy a 2010 with P2 package. The gas version leaves the diesel version in the dust {respectfully]Power lift gate is great for wife.

HK sound, handles great on the BR parkway. Great mileage for weight and HP. Rear camera comes in handy. Heated seats are great on cold days. Very quiet. Only difference between 30- 120mph is things go by faster. Highway patrol can't touch this.

More up to date Nav, who needs a cd player with sat radio. Wish options were more a la carte. Can't understand why front brake dust is terrible, but rear ones stay clean. Keyless go will be on our next one. Thanks MB. No American suv even comes close to the Gl. I have been a Ford man till now.

Nice Ride
By Satisfied

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV GL450 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

Drive it and you'll likely buy it. It must be the best riding SUV on the market, bar none. Love the Airmatic suspension as it really soaks up the rough roads in PA. Speaking of rough roads, not one rattle. Love that. Have only owned for 1 month, but so far the love affair continues. The 19" Continentals are a bit noisier than the 18" standard Michelins, but this is a very very quiet car. And by car, I mean smooth riding SUV. Very satisfied.

Ride comfort, handles like a much smaller vehicle, interior stitching on black interior, standard features and even 2 years later is still somewhat exclusive. You don't see yourself coming and going.

Better nav, but then again it's German, not Japanese.