2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GL-Class model:
It's not that bad if you're previous car was a Range Rover:)
By swfreeride on 03/28/12 06:38 AM (PDT)

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV GL450 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

Trust me when I say all European luxury SUV's have these kinds of issues. My previous car was a Range Rover HSE and a V8 Tuareg before that. Both had multiple air suspension issues, engine oil leaks, sensor failures, steering column replacements, etc... Friends with X5's don't fair well either. My RR even needed a drive shaft replacement. Fact of life unfortunately, if you want the luxury and style of the Euro SUV's the price you pay is well beyond the window sticker. The key is to enjoying the vehicle is pick the brand with a nearby dealership that treats you well and expect to spend your free time there:) - I tried the Lexus route for a year, just too bland and predictable.

Good looks - Inferior Quality Electronic
By ChildsPlay on 10/15/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV GL450 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

My spouse & I both own SUVs. He drives a Lexus GX470 and I the GL450. The GL450 is a competent vehicle with ample cargo capacity for transporting our large dogs & medical equip. However, I have had to make numerous trips to the dealership to remedy electronic and suspension issues. I do feel very safe inside the vehicle. However, I must admit that my husband's Lexus seems to handle the snow better than my GL and his vehicle has been completely problem free. I have trepidations regarding the cost of maintaining and repairing this vehicle once the warranty expires. The Navigation system and bluetooth integration are vastly inferior to the Lexus.

Not so happy with my GL450
By TEaves on 01/07/10 06:22 AM (PST)

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV GL450 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

I haven't been as satisfied with this Mercedes purchase. I've had the car in the shop over 18 times since I bought it for various annoyances including the pump that raises the vehicle on difficult terrain, the hatch latch, the motion/obstacle sensor system, etc. The leather interior stains easily, even from picking up color from clothing. And the customer service at Mercedes Benz could care less so I'll be moving on to something else after I get a few kids off to college.

Best for tall people
By Tall One on 01/03/10 12:33 PM (PST)

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV GL450 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

Finally a vehicle for folks over 6'3" tall.I am 6'8" tall and this is the only vehicle that even came close to comfortable all things considered. No sedan was even close. Great mileage and is the fastest vehicle 0-60 that I or any of my friends have ever seen. 20K miles so far. Tires are still good.Only problem was a fuel sensor to replace. We are leasing this one. Plan to buy a 2010 with P2 package. The gas version leaves the diesel version in the dust {respectfully]Power lift gate is great for wife.

Nice Ride
By Satisfied on 01/08/09 16:53 PM (PST)

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV GL450 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

Drive it and you'll likely buy it. It must be the best riding SUV on the market, bar none. Love the Airmatic suspension as it really soaks up the rough roads in PA. Speaking of rough roads, not one rattle. Love that. Have only owned for 1 month, but so far the love affair continues. The 19" Continentals are a bit noisier than the 18" standard Michelins, but this is a very very quiet car. And by car, I mean smooth riding SUV. Very satisfied.

Gl 450 Major problems
By tnance on 11/21/08 20:20 PM (PST)

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV GL450 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

I purchased the Gl 450 4.7 Ltr about 1 year ago. It has spent over 2.5-3 months at the dealership while attempting to fix electronic problems. While driving the vehicle it would surge and then the warning lights would start lighting up like Christmas. The lights warned of the following failures ABS, Air bags to many to name they were all on. Then a big red box on the led would state drive to the dealership immediatly without shifting gears, how you do that in an automatic I'm still trying to figure out. We live in an isolated state with few roads and long distances between help. My faith in the Gl is gone! Hope no one else has experienced this. It still looks nice parked in my garage.

Bigger is Better
By Gerry R. on 07/22/08 18:26 PM (PDT)

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV GL450 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

This SUV is rock solid yet handles very well for a full size vehicle. The interior is very comfortable and cabin noise is very minimal. If you need seating for 7 this is the flagship vehicle. Vastly superior to the Audi Q7, Burban, mini-vans or anything else for that matter. If you want people mover, the search is over. I came out of a 2006 GM product that thought the service center was it's second home. Mercedes exudes quality and the dealership personnel treat you better. Quality does not cost, quality pays.

Great SUV
By nycdriver on 07/21/08 12:28 PM (PDT)

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV GL450 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

I picked up my GL450 in June 2008 and it drives terrific. Smooth, quiet, and comfortable ride. It's really quite incredible. Feels solid but not overly large. Now for the cons - terrible fuel mileage (averaging 11 mpg in NYC), it's a big truck so the drive isn't as sporty as my BMW SUV's.

2008 gl450
By DAWN on 05/30/08 19:10 PM (PDT)

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV GL450 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

I am a previous LX470 owner and I have to say there really is no SUV that compares to this car for comfort and the ride and the third row seating. I can't wait to get in my car every day and drive it! Although the nav doesn't compare to Lexus ease of use and the DVD is in a weird location for usage. I also did not realize that the non-leather seats are a bit sticky in the heat due to the fact of no ac in them. The ac works great and the stereo is better than my Lexus. The windshield wiper controls are hidden and hard to see. I kept hitting the cruise control for the first month, now I am used to it. I have never had a Mercedes so all the controls take some getting used to.

GL450
By terp97 on 05/19/08 07:48 AM (PDT)

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV GL450 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

This GL is awesome. It rides so smooth the transmission is flawless. I really do feel like I'm in a G500 jet or something. Great acceleration when needed.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.