2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GL-Class model:
It's not that bad if you're previous car was a Range Rover:)
By swfreeride on 03/28/12 06:38 AM (PDT)

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV GL450 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

Trust me when I say all European luxury SUV's have these kinds of issues. My previous car was a Range Rover HSE and a V8 Tuareg before that. Both had multiple air suspension issues, engine oil leaks, sensor failures, steering column replacements, etc... Friends with X5's don't fair well either. My RR even needed a drive shaft replacement. Fact of life unfortunately, if you want the luxury and style of the Euro SUV's the price you pay is well beyond the window sticker. The key is to enjoying the vehicle is pick the brand with a nearby dealership that treats you well and expect to spend your free time there:) - I tried the Lexus route for a year, just too bland and predictable.

Good looks - Inferior Quality Electronic
By ChildsPlay on 10/15/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV GL450 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

My spouse & I both own SUVs. He drives a Lexus GX470 and I the GL450. The GL450 is a competent vehicle with ample cargo capacity for transporting our large dogs & medical equip. However, I have had to make numerous trips to the dealership to remedy electronic and suspension issues. I do feel very safe inside the vehicle. However, I must admit that my husband's Lexus seems to handle the snow better than my GL and his vehicle has been completely problem free. I have trepidations regarding the cost of maintaining and repairing this vehicle once the warranty expires. The Navigation system and bluetooth integration are vastly inferior to the Lexus.

Not so happy with my GL450
By TEaves on 01/07/10 06:22 AM (PST)

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV GL450 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

I haven't been as satisfied with this Mercedes purchase. I've had the car in the shop over 18 times since I bought it for various annoyances including the pump that raises the vehicle on difficult terrain, the hatch latch, the motion/obstacle sensor system, etc. The leather interior stains easily, even from picking up color from clothing. And the customer service at Mercedes Benz could care less so I'll be moving on to something else after I get a few kids off to college.

Best for tall people
By Tall One on 01/03/10 12:33 PM (PST)

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV GL450 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

Finally a vehicle for folks over 6'3" tall.I am 6'8" tall and this is the only vehicle that even came close to comfortable all things considered. No sedan was even close. Great mileage and is the fastest vehicle 0-60 that I or any of my friends have ever seen. 20K miles so far. Tires are still good.Only problem was a fuel sensor to replace. We are leasing this one. Plan to buy a 2010 with P2 package. The gas version leaves the diesel version in the dust {respectfully]Power lift gate is great for wife.

Super Truck
By A.C. on 07/27/09 14:42 PM (PDT)

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV GL550 4dr SUV AWD (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

Great performance, acceleration, handling etc. Considering its weight and size mileage is suprisingly good. usually 18MPG+ on the highway driving at 70+ MPH. ------------------------------------ - It has been fixed now but the rear hatch would sometimes open without any input from the remote.

Nice Ride
By Satisfied on 01/08/09 16:53 PM (PST)

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV GL450 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

Drive it and you'll likely buy it. It must be the best riding SUV on the market, bar none. Love the Airmatic suspension as it really soaks up the rough roads in PA. Speaking of rough roads, not one rattle. Love that. Have only owned for 1 month, but so far the love affair continues. The 19" Continentals are a bit noisier than the 18" standard Michelins, but this is a very very quiet car. And by car, I mean smooth riding SUV. Very satisfied.

I traded my 2007 GL450 for '08 GL550
By hbmciver on 12/15/08 04:28 AM (PST)

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV GL550 4dr SUV AWD (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

Best decision I made; to upgrade to the GL550. Unless something else comes on the market I can't imagine owning anything else. The MB GL550 has it all, comfort, quality inside and out! I'll trade in 2010 if there are upgrades, otherwise my '08 actually gets better gas mileage hwy than it's rated for. I get 19-21 mpg, and the smoothest ride imaginable!

Gl 450 Major problems
By tnance on 11/21/08 20:20 PM (PST)

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV GL450 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

I purchased the Gl 450 4.7 Ltr about 1 year ago. It has spent over 2.5-3 months at the dealership while attempting to fix electronic problems. While driving the vehicle it would surge and then the warning lights would start lighting up like Christmas. The lights warned of the following failures ABS, Air bags to many to name they were all on. Then a big red box on the led would state drive to the dealership immediatly without shifting gears, how you do that in an automatic I'm still trying to figure out. We live in an isolated state with few roads and long distances between help. My faith in the Gl is gone! Hope no one else has experienced this. It still looks nice parked in my garage.

Our first Mercedes-Benz
By KBKBDB on 08/25/08 13:38 PM (PDT)

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV GL550 4dr SUV AWD (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

So far, so good. We were in the market for a SUV. Test drove the Acura MDX, BMW X5 4.8i, and the GL. We were impressed by all three vehicles but ultimately the GL was the way to go--truly appreciate the usable third row seats.

Bigger is Better
By Gerry R. on 07/22/08 18:26 PM (PDT)

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class SUV GL450 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

This SUV is rock solid yet handles very well for a full size vehicle. The interior is very comfortable and cabin noise is very minimal. If you need seating for 7 this is the flagship vehicle. Vastly superior to the Audi Q7, Burban, mini-vans or anything else for that matter. If you want people mover, the search is over. I came out of a 2006 GM product that thought the service center was it's second home. Mercedes exudes quality and the dealership personnel treat you better. Quality does not cost, quality pays.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.