2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GL-Class model:
2013 has been a Very Bad Year.
By cc57 on 11/10/13 19:21 PM (PST)

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL320 CDI 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 7A)

Purchased new, our 2008 GL320 has been eating us out of house and home in 2013. Since it hit 80,000 miles, we've had multiple, expensive repairs with each being about $1,500 to $1,800. In this order, left front air strut replaced, turbocharger replaced, fuel pump replaced, right front air strut and air compensator valve replaced. Both the turbo and fuel pump failures left us stranded and required towing it to the dealer. Unfortunately, we did not purchase the extended warranty as I thought that a diesel would be bulletproof. Obviously, I was very wrong.

GL320-LEMON
By gl320_lemon on 06/18/13 18:28 PM (PDT)

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL320 CDI 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 7A)

Owned GL320 for 2 years. Nothing but problems. Very cheaply built, cheap and nasty components and plastic, e.g. some sort of plastic covering film started piling off the steering wheel controls. Fake wood trimmings, face leather, etc. Later on I discovered that it has common base and components with Jeep. Mercedes Customer Service is famously the worst (watch the Top Gear) and in deed it is!

Check your sanity before you buy
By hutsul on 04/20/13 20:49 PM (PDT)

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL320 CDI 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 7A)

Had car for 4 years. Numerous issues-failing suspension, rear hatch, electronics, etc. Nice car when it's running. I'm convinced they are lemons from the start. Now at 110000km steering rack needs to be replaced. Mercedes staff see you as a money bag, no help, would not stand for their product. Mercedes should be ashamed of building such a poor quality product. In order to preserve my sanity moving to Lexus- boring is goooood!!!.

It's not that bad if you're previous car was a Range Rover:)
By swfreeride on 03/28/12 06:38 AM (PDT)

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL450 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

Trust me when I say all European luxury SUV's have these kinds of issues. My previous car was a Range Rover HSE and a V8 Tuareg before that. Both had multiple air suspension issues, engine oil leaks, sensor failures, steering column replacements, etc... Friends with X5's don't fair well either. My RR even needed a drive shaft replacement. Fact of life unfortunately, if you want the luxury and style of the Euro SUV's the price you pay is well beyond the window sticker. The key is to enjoying the vehicle is pick the brand with a nearby dealership that treats you well and expect to spend your free time there:) - I tried the Lexus route for a year, just too bland and predictable.

Worst car I ever owned
By Done with it on 11/29/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL320 CDI 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 7A)

This car could be great if only it wasn't constantly returning to the dealer on the back of a tow truck. We bought it new and within 6 months the front engine gasket blew out. Two months later the same thing happened, but this time the leaking oil caused a serpentine belt failure and we lost the steering -- not good when driving down the road in a 3-ton SUV. A few months later the power steering pump failed. Today we discovered oil all over the garage floor. Absolutely unacceptable reliability. As soon as the Mercedes dealer patches the thing back together it will be off to the BMW dealer to trade it in.

Good looks - Inferior Quality Electronic
By ChildsPlay on 10/15/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL450 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

My spouse & I both own SUVs. He drives a Lexus GX470 and I the GL450. The GL450 is a competent vehicle with ample cargo capacity for transporting our large dogs & medical equip. However, I have had to make numerous trips to the dealership to remedy electronic and suspension issues. I do feel very safe inside the vehicle. However, I must admit that my husband's Lexus seems to handle the snow better than my GL and his vehicle has been completely problem free. I have trepidations regarding the cost of maintaining and repairing this vehicle once the warranty expires. The Navigation system and bluetooth integration are vastly inferior to the Lexus.

A Real Dog
By chazzjr on 10/07/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL320 CDI 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 7A)

Always thought I would have it made when I could afford to buy a MB. Well after 25 months and 9 repair trips not including 5 service trips, I traded the dog on a GMC. If this vehicle would have run well I would have kept it but it did not. Small things like senors, computer software and large things like new rack and pinion steering and power steering pump were just too much. Beware of your warranty's end. Repairs are very expensive and time consuming. In discussing the issues with the MB reps in USA and Germany, I found that they were more concerned about themselves than the problems I was having.

Great Vehicle with poor reliability
By Pieter on 09/27/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL320 CDI 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 7A)

I put 20,000 miles on it (the vehicle had about 6000 miles on it when I purchased it), and had it in the shop about 8 times. The compressor for the airmatic suspension went out at just 7000 miles. All the doorlocks failed and had to be replaced just 5000 miles later. Then the radio went haywire. Also the park tronic went bad and had to be fixed. At 25,000 miles the rear shocks were leaking and had to be replaced. These were just the major repairs. I just traded it in for a Lexus and hope to have better luck now. The great thing about the vehicle was the diesel engine. On long road trips I would average almost 30 miles to the gallon WOW ! I will miss this part.

Mercedes GL 320 CDI
By Ed Jette on 07/20/10 13:28 PM (PDT)

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL320 CDI 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 7A)

I bought the 2008 MB GL CDI used with 14K miles on it. I have 50K on it now. I bought 4 Blizzak snow tires for it and it makes it go through any conditions like a tank. I had the air suspension replaced under warranty by MB. No other problems. On a ski trip to Vermont one night got down to -10 degrees. Failed to start without putting in a bottle of 911 diesel fuel treatment. Started right up after that with no more problems. What a ride, 2 adults, 5 kids loaded to the hilt with a roof rack and still got 23 miles per gallon.

Satisfied Owner
By irongate on 06/27/10 16:47 PM (PDT)

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL320 CDI 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 7A)

I have 53k miles still enjoying the SUV. Tires are not MB fault, read about that excessively like MB makes the stupid tires! Michelin and others don't make a 19" speed and weight rated tire for this SUV so forced to buy brands like Continental that only last 27k miles. Same problem for a Cayenne or other performance SUVs with big wheels. Side mirrors need to be bigger. Get the real leather for excellent comfort. 3rd row seats are the BEST of any SUV, comfortable with great leg room for a trip, knees are not at your chin like others! park sensors,stereo sound, gas mileage for big SUV is terrific. Get 20 to 21 mpg driving hard in town 24 mpg on hwy going 75 mph, 27 to 28 mpg at 55 mph.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.