Used 2007 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GL-Class model:

Why not to get the GL450/550
By Lazy Labradors

2007 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL320 CDI 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 7A)

Surprised at the fit and finish of an American assembled MB. Quite a departure from my '98 ML320 that my mechanic often cursed 'this is not a Mercedes!' Why choose the GL450/550 when 1) gas version comes at a $2500 premium over the diesel (not the case usually with diesel vehicles) 2) gas version requires premium unleaded fuel (premium still costs more than diesel) 3) the diesel gets 18/24 gas gets 13/18 ( GL550 will fare worse); average economy for both cars at 12k miles/year and factoring price differences for premium vs. diesel you'd save ~$600/yr in fuel savings on top of the $2500; Not noisy, not slow, no smoke or smell; 0-60 who cares?? it's an SUV

400lb-ft torque! rear 3/4 windows open, 7 speed auto surprisingly doesn't hunt, leather stitching & leather covered dash; solidity and drive smoothness give impression of an S-class not an SUV, backup camera, 3rd row seats, hitch, zero wait time to start, push button close rear door

A la carte options on $50k+ vehicles like leather, sunroof, Xenon lamps, heated seats should be standard. Nav complicated by very stiff joystick instead of a touch screen. By comparison, my son's Honda Odyssey is instantly understandable without the manual so why not copy it!

Great SUV
By weeweeC

2007 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL450 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

Traded in a Land Rover Lr3 for the Gl450. Wow what a difference! Better and smoother ride, more power, more luxurious, more amenities. The car is a real head turner. We are very happy so far.

The IPOD integration kit is a must. Sunroof package is super. Very comfortable. Great acceleration with smooth ride

None for now

Constructive Criticism
By JohnP in Boston

2007 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL450 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

I love this car and it's really a dream to own and drive. I had a problem with the power tailgate not working. The NAV system is a bit primitive and prone to error. This is still the best car that I have had the privilege to own and I highly recommend it.

The transmission is very underrated and the ergonomics are excellent. My kids love the COMAND sysstem.

The NAV user interface could be easier to use and less prone to error. The DVD system should have larger screens and wireless headphones.

The best vehicle I have ever owned
By Prudence Dera

2007 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL450 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

This is the best vehicle I have driven. It is a smooth ride. I have a big family and there is enought room for all my four children. The interior is very stylish, I especially like the white stitching on the black leather interior. It is very comfortable.

Excellent SUV
By wmriii

2007 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL450 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

This is a great SUV. My family has had a Suburban for the past 14 years and it was time to downsize a bit. GL drives like a car, is extremely comfortable and has about every extra that we need. There are a few minor changes I would like to see. First, the windshield is at an angle which reflects the dash. Very distracting and third row seat dificult to get in. Should have automatic second ro fold up. Other than those minor issues and one major problem with parktronic (below) which was eventually fixed, this is one of the best cars we have owned and we hve owned most of them.

Third row seats (pop up/down) pick up and performance. comfort. Convenience.

Parktronic completely failed on our GL and dealer could not fix (5 visits). While not critical to the drivability of the car, it was iritating and took too long to fix (even if a new car).