Used 2007 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GL-Class model:

Classy SUV
By NH GL

2007 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL450 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

I have to admit that I never knew this model existed. The room in this Mercedes GL has it all over the ML. The quality is light-years ahead of the Escalade. The ride is better than a luxury sedan. Came with an off-road package which I don't expect to need, but nice to know it's there. Rear entertainment, leather, nav, sunroof, and satellite radio are all top notch!

Smooth powerful engine. Smooth comfortable ride. Goes anywhere in snow and does it with style. V-8 gets 16mpg around town, and 19 mpg on the highway. Rear entertainment and power everything. Just better looking than any other large SUV out there!

Make chrome rear bumper plate standard. I added to mine and really dresses it up. Move cruise control stalk from above turn signal stalk to below turn signal stalk.

Love It
By Davis

2007 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL450 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

I drove an Acura prior to the GL. I looked at the Navigator and Cadillac SUV, but settled on the GL. It handle well under all types of road conditions. The ride is excellent and comfortable in locally or on long distance travel. My kids love the third row and the room is great. It has been an excellent investment.

Went from diesel to gas
By helilog

2007 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL450 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

Traded an ML320CDI diesel for a GL450 gas V-8. The diesel has a narrower power band, more gear shifting, with 3-4 second bursts of huge power on demand in the upper gears. The gas V-8 has a wide, slightly weaker power band, less gear shifting, extended acceleration leaves the diesel for dead. Pick your poison. V-8 averaging 18mpg overall on regular gas, canceling some of the diesel's excellent 25mpg on pricey diesel fuel. The GL air suspension gives a smooth, level ride. Think S-Class. Car-like steering and brakes, much better than the vague, jerky brakes on the diesel. Standard manual rear hatch is light, easy to use. Nav system data entry is tedious, results are confusing.

The GL is a great city car with a short turning radius and excellent visibility out the big, low rear side windows for lane changes, parking and such. More goodies: All side windows open. Two sun roofs. Fit and finish, style, quality and comfort of the standard MB Tex 7 seat interior is excellent.

Price the nav system option at $1.99 because that is what it is worth. Perforate the sweaty optional leather seats for ventilation. Make xenon headlights standard. (Although the normal halogen lights are adequate, they just suffer compared to the xenons. It's a safety issue.)

Just Hit 20K
By Lawyeretal

2007 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL450 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

This was my pick by far based on looks, but I gave my wife the 'command' decision. We drove everything out there from Lexus to Infinity and this one drove most like a car. She picked this one hands down. We have had to have the one of the air shocks replaced, but that was no issue. The fit and finish are superb and everything inside is solid and well constructed. We have taken it on 3 long road trips with 3 kids, and the quiet ride (for the baby), the comfort (my wife) and the joy of driving it (me) have further impressed us to the point that we will probably buy another in a couple years. The older kids love the back seat entertainment package!

Darn fun to drive! Seat warmers rock! Plenty of space for a family of 5. Controls on the driving wheel for gears, phone and sound system very convenient. Turns heads.

Drinks too much gas. Need separate feeds for rear entertainment package. Nav system needs improvement.

Should have compared
By new2MB

2007 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL450 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

This is my 1st MB, got a good deal and jumped at the chance to own it. I love the way it handles, compared to my old standard SUV's. I wanted something smaller with room for the kid's sports stuff. The GL450 does not have an armrest so on long trips, anything over 30 min. my right arm goes numb, then I move it down to the bottom of the wheel, feeling less in control and still not comfortable. The navigation is very inadequate. Hard to operate compared to most on the market now. Should have compared more vehicles and not just gone for looks.

My favorite feature is the way it drives.

Must update the navigation system to better quality picture and touch screen/voice command. Add a driver's seat arm rest.