Used 2007 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL450 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Mercedes-benz Gl-class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GL-Class model:

I think we got a lemon
By gaspasser3

2007 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL450 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

Our Gl450 has 70000 miles and the transmission locked up on the highway. Thankfully no one rear ended us. The vehicle is at the dealer and Mercedes is refusing to goodwill the transmission. The car has always been serviced by Mercedes. Cost to fix $8300.00. In addition we have had 3 air compressors go out, cam plugs leak oil, power steering pump replaced and the window trim paint peel off. When you buy Mercedes you expect quality and service, we have had neither. This is our second Mercedes with problems. We have have had BMW's and they very reliable. We will not buy another Mercedes.

Favorite Features

Looks good

Suggested Improvements

Reliability, service, and better warranty. Mercedes needs to stand behind what they build.

Poor Reliability
By benz_awful

2007 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL450 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

Purchased a mint condition 2007 GL450 with 25,000 miles and now at 60,000 miles. Have had the following problems: power steering pump failure, front struts failure, interior temperature control system failure, check engine sensor failure, cam plug oil leaks and replacement, back seat panel separation, interior vent knobs broke, not to mention that the battery wore out early as did the brakes and tires. Vehicle pulls to right after repeated alignments. Can't get rid of vibration even after tire replacement and repeated re-balancing -- suspect drive shaft.

Favorite Features

3rd row seat

Suggested Improvements

Need to improve reliability and lower cost of repair parts and labor. Warranty is only for 50 K miles and extended warranty I purchased has been a total waste of money (won't pay claims). Cost of repairs is unbelievable.

Expensive Lesson
By Ticked Off

2007 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL450 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

I purchased this vehicle less than a week ago, and because of my work schedule couldn't drive it for three days. The first day that I'm able to drive it I go to the gas station to fill it up and the power steering goes out, I wait 3 hrs to be towed. I contact the dealership who tells me I also have a leak in the rack and pinion long story short I have a $7,000 bill on a vehicle I purchased 5 days ago and haven't even driven 150 miles in. I can't use the warranty I purchased because there is a 30 day wait period. I want my trade in vehicle back.

Suggested Improvements

Make sure product is worthy of its price.

Big Let down
By lcole

2007 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL450 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

I have owned my GL for three months and have really been let down by the events over the past 4 days. So far, I have a broken strut, failed air suspension system, and peeling clear coat. Total cost of repairs: $1200. Is my dealership as happy to see me now as they were when I purchased? Of course not. My dream car has turned into a total nightmare for me. I loved it because it is one of the few SUVs with a comfortable third row, but now, I see that I can live without a third row and a Mercedes.

Favorite Features

Drives like a car, flat folding rear seats

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage, air suspension system more reliable, lose the clear coat around the windows.

This car is terrible
By Disappointed

2007 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class GL450 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

Having spent 5 trips to the dealership to fix a litany of oil leaks that originated after the cam sensors caused a total stoppage of the car I can confidently say this car is terrible. Back gate does not work now. Mercedes took 2 months to investigate my persistent oil leak only to send me a letter saying "good thing you have a warranty." Switched from BMW good thing I have some warranty left so I can swallow the loss and chalk it up as a costly experiment. I won't be fooled by MB's glamorous advertising again. Think twice before getting this car. Interestingly it is rumored the new dodge durango will be a GL in disguise.

Favorite Features

This thing is a tank, very heavy and gas mileage to prove it.

Suggested Improvements

Build a quality car.