Used 2008 Mercedes-Benz G-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mercedes-benz G-class - Consumer Reviews

2008 Mercedes-Benz G-Class

View reviews for a specific G-Class model:

A Beautiful Tank on the outside, Harsh on the inside
By danielk1974

2008 Mercedes-Benz G-Class G500 4dr SUV 4WD (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

My wife got this car as her ultimate SUV dream vehicle. She had wanted one for 15 years. We got a good deal and she traded in her Lexus LX 570. We went from a peaceful cocoon of luxury to a rough and randy tank. She absolutely loves it. There is truly nothing else like it on the road. However, it is not very comfortable to drive. Steering is heavy. Acceleration is slow. The engine is loud. The seats are not comfortable. And yet everytime she looks at it, she loves it a little more. I don't like driving it at all, but that's why she tells me its her car, not mine.

Favorite Features

The exterior styling is truly like nothing else on the road. It is built like a tank. I've heard that the major structural components and engineering hasn't changed in over 20 years. I believe it.

Suggested Improvements

The front seats are not comfortable at all. Maybe a little better cushioning. The backup camera screen is hazy and low resolution. It really does only get 12 miles per gallon. Don't know if there is some way to make this better. Comes with only a moon roof, not a sunroof. No automatic function on the power windows. You have to hold the button lever up the entire time to get the window up. Engine is really loud. Perhaps some better insulation?

Overrated car
By johnny

2008 Mercedes-Benz G-Class G55 AMG 4dr SUV 4WD (5.4L 8cyl S/C 5A)

It's a fun car, I would not think of buying another though. I truly think its overrated. For an SUV it's too fancy, but it has great on road handling.

Favorite Features

Great ride, 0-60 in the blink of an eye.

Suggested Improvements

Too expensive, and truly overrated