Don't compare this vehicle to others
By Ciro on
2004 Mercedes-Benz G-Class G500 4WD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)
I read other reviews and laughed. They expect a square vehicle to be quiet and get good mpg, not. I bought this vehicle because of it's actual ruggedness and the fact that it's a military vehicle in Germany. In other words, a German Hummer. I got exactly what I expected an more. A very tough vehicle with some luxury appointments. Interior noise is minimal for a square vehicle. It handles like a truck, as it should, since it weighs as much a a large pick-up truck. Gas mileage is actually not that bad if you don't use the 292hp all the time. I've averaged 19mpg in the highway @ 55mph and as high as 17mpg in the city if your light on the gas. But stomp on the pedal and it drinks the fuel.
Favorite Features
I love the feeling of safety. The sure- footedness it possesses. The elevated view to see traffic ahead. The ability to ford deep water. I live in florida where 3 hurricanes have just passed. During the worst part of the storm I stayed in my G wagon, 'cause if the roof fell, I would be safe in my G.
Suggested Improvements
This is a heavy-duty truck made for serious abuse if the situation called for it, and what does every heavy duty truck have: a diesel engine. Why they didn't put a diesel engine in this vehicle I don't know. I would trade mine in today if they made one with a diesel. That would be a perfect GD500