2004 Mercedes-Benz G-Class SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific G-Class model:
2004 G500
By Thai on 07/24/08 05:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz G-Class SUV G500 4WD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Great SUV. Just the right size for off-roading. Built like a tank or bank vault. Nothing else on the road like it. The locking diffs and compact size are what put this SUV above everything else not named Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. Interior space is surprisingly good, but a bit narrow. This applies to the cargo area too. Interior design is very old, but the materials and fit & finish are first rate (and appropriate for price). Storage space is at a premium though. Stereo is pretty good when you play CDs, not so good with radio. Leather is top-notch...after 50k miles, no signs of creasing! (This is in contrast to my brother's LX470's leather.)

The old new G
By Dave on 05/30/05 11:44 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz G-Class SUV G500 4WD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

This truck look awesome and when you behind the wheel you feel on top of the world.But it unfortunately from day one since we got our beloved G we had nothing but problems and frustrations. This car does have all problems in the world. Everything went wrong from door locks; number of computer modules, main computer, heated steering, ESP and airbags system to the most resent-paint was coming off on all door latches.Its been in the shop 4 months in the past 2 years and has about 38 pages of problem record. Dealerís service department was trying to help but this truck was having more and more problems. Finaly Mercedes taking this car back as lemon after 2 years.I would not recomend it at all.

Don't compare this vehicle to others
By Ciro on 10/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz G-Class SUV G500 4WD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I read other reviews and laughed. They expect a square vehicle to be quiet and get good mpg, not. I bought this vehicle because of it's actual ruggedness and the fact that it's a military vehicle in Germany. In other words, a German Hummer. I got exactly what I expected an more. A very tough vehicle with some luxury appointments. Interior noise is minimal for a square vehicle. It handles like a truck, as it should, since it weighs as much a a large pick-up truck. Gas mileage is actually not that bad if you don't use the 292hp all the time. I've averaged 19mpg in the highway @ 55mph and as high as 17mpg in the city if your light on the gas. But stomp on the pedal and it drinks the fuel.

Worth every penny
By svlasco on 10/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz G-Class SUV G500 4WD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I've owned this SUV for about 2 months now and so far it has been excellent. The attention it draws and the rocks it climbs. You'd feel like a celebrity everywhere you go. It is almost like driving a Ferrari, every car on the road wants to pace with you just to check it out, then they catch up to your window just to see who's driving. Definately one of the vehicles I will keep in my collection. The people who trash on this vehicle are usually the ones that could'nt afford it in the first place.

g500 solid and safe
By f40chuck on 10/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz G-Class SUV G500 4WD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

solid and safe feeling truck.great visability makes parking easy.strong motor and outstanding brakes.overall is a tight solid and safe vehicle.

G500 at 10,000 mi. 5 mos.old
By G500CATDOG on 09/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz G-Class SUV G500 4WD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

love it the feel and its looks and the attention it gets wanted a vehicle for longevitty had an oil leak that 2 times at the dealer to tighten a fitting and a broken door latch within 1000 mi. sqeeks like crazy enough to make you go mad selling dealer was real lame about fixing anything but another dealer has helped a lot the sqeeks seem to be temp. sensitive still keep a can of silicone handy ! still feels like a million. breaking nice at 1o,ooomi.

Get something else instead
By MadAtMercedes on 08/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz G-Class SUV G500 4WD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

It seems like a cool and flashy truck. Well it is, but nothing. We have had this truck for over a year and it has been in for service nearly 20 times. They are finally giving us another. Problems with rattling, electrical, brakes, and other randow things make this one of the worst vehicles you can buy. Having owned a Range Rover HSE before, I wish I still had it. I also have Mercedes S500 and that has some issues as well. I would suggest staying away from Mercedes for a while.

Bad News
By NewMexico on 07/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz G-Class SUV G500 4WD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

This vehicle as a lot of power. The driver seat is comfortable the rest of the car is very uncortable. Very small if you have a family of two or more. Comes equiped with a horrible wind noise that sounds like you are driving a comfortable. Gussles gas 12 miles to the gal. Does not have hitch. Very disapointed for this type of money. Does not handle very well on turns.

Hot ride
By Jtatum on 07/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz G-Class SUV G500 4WD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I have had alot of exotic cars in the past but the G wagon gets more attention than all of them. It's a little rough on the ride and tough on gas but I'm having alot of fun driving it.

pirus
By piru on 07/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz G-Class SUV G500 4WD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

For 76,000 Dlls. you expect something not as delicate. the tire replacement cover is very delicate alone is worth about 1000 dlls. for that money, the car should take care of me, not the other way around.