Used 2004 Mercedes-Benz G-Class SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mercedes-benz G-class - Consumer Reviews

2004 Mercedes-Benz G-Class SUV

View reviews for a specific G-Class model:

2004 G500
By Thai

2004 Mercedes-Benz G-Class SUV G500 4WD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Great SUV. Just the right size for off-roading. Built like a tank or bank vault. Nothing else on the road like it. The locking diffs and compact size are what put this SUV above everything else not named Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. Interior space is surprisingly good, but a bit narrow. This applies to the cargo area too. Interior design is very old, but the materials and fit & finish are first rate (and appropriate for price). Storage space is at a premium though. Stereo is pretty good when you play CDs, not so good with radio. Leather is top-notch...after 50k miles, no signs of creasing! (This is in contrast to my brother's LX470's leather.)

Favorite Features

Pure off-road ability. Built like a tank. Feels secure like a bank vault. Very rust proof. High seating with big windows. High quality interior. Unique exterior...attracts attention (good or bad). Rear parking sonar is a big help...a must have! Harman Kardon stereo is pretty good for CDs.

Suggested Improvements

Radio reception should be better. Interior design is pretty old...some things seem like an after-thought. Better wind suppression due to brick wall styling. Side curtain airbags (in '05-up models) should not be roll-over sensing due to this truck's main focus (off-roading).

The old new G
By Dave

2004 Mercedes-Benz G-Class SUV G500 4WD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

This truck look awesome and when you behind the wheel you feel on top of the world.But it unfortunately from day one since we got our beloved G we had nothing but problems and frustrations. This car does have all problems in the world. Everything went wrong from door locks; number of computer modules, main computer, heated steering, ESP and airbags system to the most resent-paint was coming off on all door latches.Its been in the shop 4 months in the past 2 years and has about 38 pages of problem record. Dealerís service department was trying to help but this truck was having more and more problems. Finaly Mercedes taking this car back as lemon after 2 years.I would not recomend it at all.

Favorite Features

Truck itself

Suggested Improvements

Better quality control... Dealers mechanics better learn how to fix this truck.

Don't compare this vehicle to others
By Ciro

2004 Mercedes-Benz G-Class SUV G500 4WD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I read other reviews and laughed. They expect a square vehicle to be quiet and get good mpg, not. I bought this vehicle because of it's actual ruggedness and the fact that it's a military vehicle in Germany. In other words, a German Hummer. I got exactly what I expected an more. A very tough vehicle with some luxury appointments. Interior noise is minimal for a square vehicle. It handles like a truck, as it should, since it weighs as much a a large pick-up truck. Gas mileage is actually not that bad if you don't use the 292hp all the time. I've averaged 19mpg in the highway @ 55mph and as high as 17mpg in the city if your light on the gas. But stomp on the pedal and it drinks the fuel.

Favorite Features

I love the feeling of safety. The sure- footedness it possesses. The elevated view to see traffic ahead. The ability to ford deep water. I live in florida where 3 hurricanes have just passed. During the worst part of the storm I stayed in my G wagon, 'cause if the roof fell, I would be safe in my G.

Suggested Improvements

This is a heavy-duty truck made for serious abuse if the situation called for it, and what does every heavy duty truck have: a diesel engine. Why they didn't put a diesel engine in this vehicle I don't know. I would trade mine in today if they made one with a diesel. That would be a perfect GD500

Worth every penny
By svlasco

2004 Mercedes-Benz G-Class SUV G500 4WD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I've owned this SUV for about 2 months now and so far it has been excellent. The attention it draws and the rocks it climbs. You'd feel like a celebrity everywhere you go. It is almost like driving a Ferrari, every car on the road wants to pace with you just to check it out, then they catch up to your window just to see who's driving. Definately one of the vehicles I will keep in my collection. The people who trash on this vehicle are usually the ones that could'nt afford it in the first place.

Favorite Features

Attention grabbing looks and design.

Suggested Improvements

better navigation system.

g500 solid and safe
By f40chuck

2004 Mercedes-Benz G-Class SUV G500 4WD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

solid and safe feeling truck.great visability makes parking easy.strong motor and outstanding brakes.overall is a tight solid and safe vehicle.

Favorite Features

high seat position.powerful motor. tight steering box. great brakes.

Suggested Improvements

more comfortable back seats. more cargo room and/or third row seating.longer wheelbase.