Used 2002 Mercedes-Benz G-Class G500 SUV Consumer Reviews - 36 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mercedes-Benz G-Class SUV - Consumer Reviews

2002 Mercedes-Benz G-Class SUV

G500 5.0L V8 4x4 5-speed Automatic - (36 reviews )

LOVE LOVE LOVE OUR G
By Greg Smith

2002 Mercedes-Benz G-Class SUV G500 4WD SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

We love our G-wagen. They stay classic and hold their value like no other vehicle. Our 2002 looks almost exactly like the brand new ones. It drives fantastic and our mechanical costs have been quite minimal considering it has over 170,000 miles. Please, repairs for this vehicle are pretty straight forward and therefore labor costs stay low. We love the heated rear seats and the huge cargo area. We couldn't ask for a safer vehicle for our family. We get so many compliments every time we drive it and people are constantly asking us if they can look at the inside. We plan on keeping our G500 forever and just fixing it as we need to. There's not another car out there that we like better. There are several G-wagen owner websites and they all say the same thing- these are the coolest and best SUVs out there and are timeless classics!

Amazing
By jlmak

2002 Mercedes-Benz G-Class SUV G500 4WD SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I've owned my 2002 for 7 years. It's been amazing. It's a truck. Drives like a truck. It is not an Escalade or some floaty phony SUV. That's why i love it.

After a massive blizzard a few years ago (nearly 5ft of snow), my father was stuck on the side of road about 45 miles from my home. Trapped in his car with no way of getting assistance (the cops and fire couldn't respond) I drove out to get him. I made fresh tracks on Interstate 95 and numerous side roads the whole way. Never even had to lock the diffs. The truck performed amazingly. It was unreal. 100+ miles in 3-5ft of snow the whole way and the thing didnt bat an eye.

Also didn't even have to shovel myself out.

everything

A Tank
By mangliyo

2002 Mercedes-Benz G-Class SUV G500 4WD SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

No Question, this vehicle is not for everybody. It's rough, strong, and at the same time a beautiful piece of art. Even though MPG is very low that doesn't keep me from driving it daily.

Feels like a M1A2 tank. When driving it, it gives you the feeling of being invincible. My favorite thing is that the body style has not change over the past 10 years. Why change it if... it is perfect the way it is?

None.

Best car on the road
By My G-class

2002 Mercedes-Benz G-Class SUV G500 4WD SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Every since the late 80's when I first saw the car at a friends house (european version) I new this is a car I had to have. not wanting to pay the $130,000 that it cost then I waited till MB put it out themselves and have not been disapointed. No other car can hold a candle to the styling and off road performance of this monster. They havent had to change it since the 70's (something must be right)

Everything

Fix the electronics, in the last 6months in been in the shop for 5 of them.

Great truck - Bad service
By SAFEWEALTH

2002 Mercedes-Benz G-Class SUV G500 4WD SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Great looking, safe, comfortable and fun. Goes anywhere on or off road and feels solid in any weather conditions. Lots of cargo room and I have moved lots of small furniture in back with seats folded down. PROBLEM: Dealers have little experience or knowledge of how to service this vehicle. Many small issues have had to be fixed three or more times, also bodywork is a nightmare if you get in an accident. Mercedes does not have its act together in training its staff and service techs.

Styling, comfort, safety, versatility. Take it anywhere from a business meeting to the woods.

More sound insulation, better stereo, although they have fixed that on newer models, and more dealer training on how to service these beasts!!!