2002 Mercedes-Benz G-Class SUV - Consumer Reviews

G500 5.0L V8 4x4 5-speed Automatic - (35 reviews )
Amazing
By jlmak on 11/27/14 11:01 AM (PST)

2002 Mercedes-Benz G-Class SUV G500 4WD SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I've owned my 2002 for 7 years. It's been amazing. It's a truck. Drives like a truck. It is not an Escalade or some floaty phony SUV. That's why i love it. After a massive blizzard a few years ago (nearly 5ft of snow), my father was stuck on the side of road about 45 miles from my home. Trapped in his car with no way of getting assistance (the cops and fire couldn't respond) I drove out to get him. I made fresh tracks on Interstate 95 and numerous side roads the whole way. Never even had to lock the diffs. The truck performed amazingly. It was unreal. 100+ miles in 3-5ft of snow the whole way and the thing didnt bat an eye. Also didn't even have to shovel myself out.

A Tank
By mangliyo on 11/17/11 19:14 PM (PST)

2002 Mercedes-Benz G-Class SUV G500 4WD SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

No Question, this vehicle is not for everybody. It's rough, strong, and at the same time a beautiful piece of art. Even though MPG is very low that doesn't keep me from driving it daily.

Best car on the road
By My G-class on 01/22/08 19:07 PM (PST)

2002 Mercedes-Benz G-Class SUV G500 4WD SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Every since the late 80's when I first saw the car at a friends house (european version) I new this is a car I had to have. not wanting to pay the $130,000 that it cost then I waited till MB put it out themselves and have not been disapointed. No other car can hold a candle to the styling and off road performance of this monster. They havent had to change it since the 70's (something must be right)

Great truck - Bad service
By SAFEWEALTH on 02/04/07 11:41 AM (PST)

2002 Mercedes-Benz G-Class SUV G500 4WD SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Great looking, safe, comfortable and fun. Goes anywhere on or off road and feels solid in any weather conditions. Lots of cargo room and I have moved lots of small furniture in back with seats folded down. PROBLEM: Dealers have little experience or knowledge of how to service this vehicle. Many small issues have had to be fixed three or more times, also bodywork is a nightmare if you get in an accident. Mercedes does not have its act together in training its staff and service techs.

I love my car!
By ILOVEMYG on 01/08/07 17:16 PM (PST)

2002 Mercedes-Benz G-Class SUV G500 4WD SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

The G-Wagen is so eyecatching on the exterior and it is the kind of car that you feel so good to be in. Wherever you go a lot of attention is on you. It's fast for an SUV and the brakes are great because you can stop at the last minute.

Rolls Royce of 4x4s
By Brabus on 09/28/06 19:42 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz G-Class SUV G500 4WD SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

It is the best truck on the road. It simply looks like nothing else, and drives like caviar on butter. I had to limo-tint my windows as this car definitely gets a lot of attention. Every time I drive someone in the G500 they WOW all the time. When I go to clubs or restaurants, valet parking would always put it up front for grabbing attention. This is a top of the line truck.

What A Mess
By tahcan on 02/26/06 20:08 PM (PST)

2002 Mercedes-Benz G-Class SUV G500 4WD SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

This car rocks....when it works. My G wagon was in the shop 32 days in 8 months for a never ending run of problems which the dealer could not fix so I switched dealers...three times with the same results. Drive out of the shop and some light or warning would go off before I got home. The only possible way you drive this car is if you have another one when this one is in the shop.

Let's Be Objective
By stasik7 on 09/16/05 23:53 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz G-Class SUV G500 4WD SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I knew what I was buying before I bought it. This vehicle does get terrible gas mileage, compared to a Civic, but you should expect it when you are buying an almost 3 ton truck that costs $80,000. It is stiff, but you have to consider what this truck was originally desinged for. I had to take it to the dealer to have a few minor things fixed, but what vehicle does not have problems every now and then. The verdict is this: If you want a vehicle that will never go out of style, that will take you virtually anywhere, a vehicle that has plenty of power and eye appeal, then you should buy one! If you are thinking why would I need a truck to be all that..I don't know...WHY NOT!!!

OH MY HECK!!!!!
By spin man on 11/14/04 07:01 AM (PST)

2002 Mercedes-Benz G-Class SUV G500 4WD SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

This is no SUV for the typical affluent housewife. It is an awesome military born rugged SUV turned luxury- --well, as much as possible. It takes a heavy hand and a heavy foot, but that is not a bad thing. It is more of a man's car, no doubt. I love it because it is never going to lose the visual appeal it possesses. It is strong, demanding, and has incredible presence. That is what makes the G500 stand all alone. Nothing comes close.

It's a truck - not a luxury SUV
By j.edwards on 05/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz G-Class SUV G500 4WD SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this vehicle in spite of your review. I wanted a stiff rding, ruggedly built, durable vehicle with a military heritage. You may nit-pick, but it's still an S-class interior. It can't go out of style because it never was in style. It will out climb an H-1 and do 130 on the road. Try that with any other SUV on the market. Yeah, you'll be laughing in years to come, but it will be at yourselves for identifying this thing as a luxury SUV.