Used 2000 Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG - Consumer Reviews

Base 5.4L V8 5-speed Automatic - (11 reviews )

Amazing
By semba5

2000 Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG 4dr Sedan

I have owned Volkswagens, Porsche, BMW, and a 2011 CTS-V Coupe. I stumbled across this 2002 E55 AMG by accident and drove it for the heck of it. Although it needed tires, shocks, and rim reconditioning, I was impressed by the performance, looks, and (now) the ride. This is by a long shot the best built, fun to drive, fastest accelerating car I have ever owned. I constantly confuse so many people by the sleeper look of this car as I leave them far far behind me. I bought this car 10 years old and it is in better condition still than the 2011 CTS-V I bought last year (Which was sold). I cant imagine driving anything but an AMG EVER AGAIN.

this one is a keeper
By cg3d

2000 Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG 4dr Sedan

Before I bought my beloved w210, I was looking at the 740i Sport Bimmer and D2 Audi S8. If you are also looking at these, stop now. There is no comparison. The W210 is the most capable, dependable and FUN car of them all. I have owned mine for 6 months now and can honestly say it is the best car I have owned. It is very comfortable (although the Audi seats have the edge), clearly built for cruising an autobahn at 100mph all day long. This thing just chews up the miles effortlessly. I get between 17-21mpg in mixed city/moderate highway commute. Not too bad considering the Saturn 5 rocket performance that lurks beneath.

Motor, motor motor. Its an E55 AMG. Enough said. If you enjoy genuinely 'driving' your car, this car is for you. Almost 400lb/ft of torque is a riot. It is like a 4 door muscle car, with AC and a CD player. (trust me I sold my muscle car for this) It may have an auto, but the shiftable auto is a joy to use. It never hunts for gears in odd situations. A 'soft' ECU reset (google it) guarantees crisp shifts and enhanced throttle response. It is manually shiftable which is awesome for spirited driving. I love the subdued looks and monster performance. Find a clean, unmolested, well kept one and this 12 year old legend will still be your 'go to' vehicle past 200,000 miles. Not good in snow.

Front seats could be a little more 'aggressive' for my taste. Make a car this capable and you are going to want to push it round corners. The car can deliver, the seats can't really. You find yourself bracing on the door and center console. Rear seats do not fold down, so if you are replacing a wagon or SUV with this, something to consider. Trunk is not as huge as the vehicle size may suggest but it is not terrible.

One of the Best Cars
By Bruce

2000 Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG 4dr Sedan

Truly amazing to drive and power is unbelievable. Reliability is simply amazing. I was very pleased to own it and would never want to sell it. It has everything from spacious interior to brutal power to smooth gearing to executive and humble looks. I don't think there would be a better car with so many features in this price and Yes, reliability is a dream come true.

Power, sound system, Air conditioning, controls, road grip, handling.

none

More fun than my classic car
By Vito M

2000 Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG 4dr Sedan

Got this after selling my classic car which was a occasional driver and got lots of thumbs up . But this car has it all I loved the body style and the power is equal or better than my Big Block classic with all the creature comforts and almost 3 time's the gas milage . The only problem is this car is so much fun to drive I let the others sit in the garage,

Mercedes Benz E55 AMG W210
By shoeb

2000 Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG 4dr Sedan

It is an extremely fast car. It has a great hand built engine but could be expensive to repair if something goes wrong. It cannot be thrashed very hard since the possibility of something going wrong increases significantly. It is extremely fast from 0-60 in 5.3 secs. One of the fastest cars I have driven but the ride is not comfortable. Build quality is good but not the best I have seen.

Performance, handling, and the engine

Ride can be a little bit softer. The reliability should be improved.