Used 2011 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E550 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Mercedes-benz E-class - Consumer Reviews

2011 Mercedes-Benz E-Class

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:

Nearly perfect convertible
By live1x

2011 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E550 2dr Convertible (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

MB has produced an exceptional car with the near perfect ingredients of sport, luxury, comfort, convenience, and versatility. I have admittedly drank the cool aide on top down motoring. This is my sixth convertible (1964 Corvair Monza Spyder, 1966 Corvair Corsa, 1978 Fiat 124 Spider, 2001 SLK350, 2006 SC430). My assessment is based on those and other driving experiences (I've driven many other great convertibles: Mustangs, Corvettes, Porsches, BMWs, Audis). I have less than 10k miles on the car and yet I find myself inordinately happier with each passing mile (a first for someone who is considered a total car [violative content deleted], buying more than 30 new car over the last 25 years, yes my wife is encouraging me to get therapy).

Favorite Features

In rank order: Quietness afforded by the seven-layer top, Aircap (create one-of-a-kind driving experience), Multicontour front seats, Distronic, Exhaust sound, Airscarf (keeps my top down in cold weather), Stereo (sound quality, traffic updates, hands free integration), upgraded wheel package

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage (my other car is a Prius, go figure), no heated steering wheel, cost of options, rear quarter panel styling w/top up, rear visability with headrests in up position, IPOD sync not the best, who uses memory card slots anymore?

E550A Cabriolet
By MIKEMNH

2011 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E550 2dr Convertible (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

Traded 2009 Porsche 911 Cab PDK on this. 911 great but rough ride and hard egress/exit. Mercedes is a great all around car. If you really aren't ever going on a track, this is the perfect car. Very torquey V8, brisk in normal or sport mode. Tip-in and shifting very aggressive in sport mode. A quality car with great electronics. I have 1400 songs on 1 8.5 Gig DVD, Player will take 5 more!! Transmission is not as good as Porsche PDK, but way more than you need for aggressive road driving. Exhaust note is a pleasure. I think Mercedes gets it, and I'm glad I got it!

Favorite Features

Power, looks, handling, sound, top down, room for 2 (shorties) in back.

Suggested Improvements

Could be 3-4 inches bigger in back seat. No route list available in Nav, a major deficiency, unless you really don't care where Nav takes you.

Automotive bliss.
By Jim Fischer

2011 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E550 2dr Convertible (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

After owning an 2003 E500 since new, what a pleasure it is to have no problems to report. This E550 cabriolet is everything we hoped it would be and more. The sport setting is awesome for the extra rpm between shifts that really let you feel the power. A pleasantly tuned exhaust sounds just right with the top down. We chose the premium leather and multi-contour seats for comfort. Most of all, my wife fell in love at first sight, so we are both happy. Highly recommend this car and the V8 is worth every penny. J.F.

Favorite Features

Top operates quickly and looks great up or down. Premium leather seats are butter soft.

Suggested Improvements

We miss the radio that increased in volume when outside noises are detected. Not available in cabriolet, c'mon guys, my 2007 Mustang conv. has that. This even with the premium radio.