Questionable Build Quality on BlueTec
By Carl on
2009 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 BlueTEC 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 7A)
This was my first Mercedes purchase; a Japanese car loyalist up til this purchase. Car drives amazing & gas mileage is great for this size car. I averaged 29 mpg combined. However, build quality is a DISASTER. Literally, on evening home from dealership the night of purchase, the left headlight went out and I received an LCD error warning about headlight failure. Took it back to dealership and 3 days in shop w/$3200 bill (under warranty). The C series loaner I got had same headlight failure during loaner period. At 5,900 the BlueTec's power steering failed while driving and I almost wrecked; steering wheel wouldn't turn. Car towed back to dealership by MB - 5 days in shop. NIGHTMARE!
Favorite Features
MPG, fit and finish on the interior, and the car electronics and the HR radio/nav/telephone/SD card/ipod head unit. The interface is awesome.
Suggested Improvements
Reliability! Headlight and headlight electronics board failed at mile 17. Power Steering went out on the car at mile 5,900 while I was driving nearly putting me in a wreck with oncoming traffic. BLuetooth software is buggy with all cell phones. This is my first and last Mercedes purchase.