2006 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Consumer Review: Got Transmission?

2006 Mercedes-Benz E-Class - Consumer Review

E500 4MATIC Sedan (5.0L V8 AWD 5-speed Automatic)

Got Transmission?
By Maggie on

2006 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E500 4MATIC 4dr Sedan AWD (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I am compelled to write a review on this car after a year and a half of ownership because it has been a series of non-stop transmission problems which Mercedez cannot seem to fix. I do not know if they have fixed the 2007 model but you really need to thoroughly test-drive this car and ask around. Also, the back tires needed replacement after just 20,000 miles which seemed a little too soon. This car also has a totally unusable cup holder, something you think is just a small thing but turns out to be huge for us commuters. I am thoroughly disappointed in my $70,000 purchase and wish I had stayed with a Lexus, a car I thoroughly enjoyed for ten years.

Beautiful exterior design. The dynamic seat features are also fun except that they automatically turn off after a little while so on long drives, you need to keep turning them back on. Big trunk is a plus.

As stated, this car has been a steady diet of transmission problems. The cup holder is also poorly designed.