Used 2006 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 CDI Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesel - Consumer Reviews

E320 CDI 3.2L 6-cyl. Turbo Diesel 5-speed Automatic - (57 reviews )

Love my car
By groovycoolbean

2006 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesel E320 CDI 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I bought this car as a used car at a dealership. Got an excellent price. Has over 126k miles but drives like new. Everything works like new. The interior is in pristine condition. For people who spill the occasional drink the stainguard on the floor mat works marvelously. The gas mileage is averaging 35 mph with a/c in Phoenix at speeds averaging 70 mph. I read previously an issue with that but I haven't experienced it. I drive 80 roundtrip miles daily and this car is perfect for it. My carpool buddy loves how comfortable the seats can be for his naps on the way home. The overhead lighting for the back seat passengers is very helpful for passengers to navigate maps, etc while I'm driving.

Sound system, cd player is great quality. The torque and stability when accelerating is amazing. We get to 80mph before we merge onto the freeway if we're not paying attention. The gas mileage is fantastic averaging 35-42 mpgs at speeds ranging between 65 mph to 80 mph. The seat comfort features are great for long drives. Lots of lighting for night driving. Handling on turns and curves is amazing.

Too many ashtrays. I laughed at how many ashtrays are in the car. No bluetooth connection and the optional phone addition is too expensive (Mercedes-Benz dealer quoted me $1200.00). The 12V adapter isn't very good for charging phones, very slow.

Great car
By eebenz

2006 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesel E320 CDI 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

So far zero problems with this car. I bought it transferred from Houston to Phoenix with 45k mi, and have 60k mi now. Everything is perfect. Fuel mileage summer 24/36 winter 29/38 city/highway. My typical city driving is 6 mile each way with 15 lights. hwy hilly and 75 to 80mph. Note ac use is the mpg killer in Phoenix.

Comfy, fairly fast, efficient, 16 inch wheels, and luxurious. I have done the brakes and oil. These items are normally easy to do, but this car is not a normal car. Everything is extremely over engineered, which makes it quieter and time consuming to just do an oil change. Note it was not difficult but about 20 screws hold three covers to change the oil. I may do the top recovery method next time. The brakes had extra steps too, 2 sensors that tell when the brakes are ready to be changed. They need a little more attention to detail than a chevy. Parts cost was surprisingly cheaper than my old jeep and my wife's honda. OEM online is what I did and they matched the stampings on the original.

No bluetooth, I added this with an aftermarket to the aux port, but not what it should be. Reading about the factory bluetooth, I wouldn't buy that either. Fold down rear seat is an option and not on mine. Mirrors do not fold in, they are on a spring. Power folding mirrors is an option, but either way I'm not a fan. Most of my friends don't like doing their own maintaining. If you plan to take it to the dealer, be prepared for large bills. This is the reason I would not recommend to a friend.

Love this car
By srsmartin

2006 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesel E320 CDI 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This car's average mileage for its first 51,000 miles is 30,6. On the highway I get 41+ at 70 mph. Add Mercedes legendary comfort and handling and this is a great car. I bought it used in 2009 from a dealer with a full MB warranty for $28 k. I'll never buy a new one again! It is my fourth Benz/first diesel, and I am now a diesel convert. Why drive anything else?

Mileage!

None - it is the perfect car.

Best MB Diesel that I have owned
By Deezil Jim

2006 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesel E320 CDI 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This car has performed exceptionally well since I purchased it from dealer. It had approx 28k at purchase. I purchased the MB extended warranty out to 5 year/100k to cover major component replacements. Best mileage was trip from El Paso,TX to destination near Fort Worth,TX (609 miles)this year, using air, with cruise control set at 70 MPH. With a few stops along the Interstate, I averaged 42.5 mpg to destination.Onboard computer at arrival said I could go another 280+ miles till refuel.(E-320 CDI has 21.0 gallontank. On board computer says that I have overall average of 33.5 mpg since purchase of car-mostly city driving mixed with some x-country trips. E- 320CDI, BEST of 4 diesel cars I owned!

Large fuel tank (21gallon). Tremendous instant torque, will burn rubber on start. Never had a diesel car that could do that before. Comfortable bucket seats. Great A/C in the hot Texas summers. Heated seats are quick when selected. Good braking system. Selectable Rear Seat sun screen in back window.

Better Nav System needed. My Garmin 580 is much better overall. Add Iphone connections. I have after market IPhone system installed in the car's great sound system and works great for hands free dialing and answering using voice reccy. 17 inch wheels would be nice if good ride could be maintained.

Geaux Mercedes!
By Impulse II

2006 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesel E320 CDI 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I bought the car with 22,000 miles and now have 65,000 miles almost a year later. The only repair I've made (under warranty) was some front end work. The diesel has returned 35 MPG total average in predominantly highway driving (150 miles/day). With the exception of the front end work, the vehicle has been flawless, even the electronics (which is surprising). I've owned six Mercedes before, mostly diesels, and wholeheartedly recommend the brand, and particularly their diesels.

Fuel economy and comfort at high speeds. The torque is also outstanding.

The only complaint is the braking system which seems harsh at times. However, I understand that this was remedied is subsequent models. A minor irritation is the necessity at times having to adjust the heating controls. The paint finish seems to have a slight orange peel effect, but not serious.