Used 2006 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mercedes-Benz E-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:

Great car. But poor engine quality
By mbzpain

2006 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E350 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

Love this car, great cruiser, comfortable, great mileage and power. BUT, Mercedes has delivered a car with a poorly designed engine. At 62K, I got check engine light and taking to the dealer was informed that I have to replace the balance shaft of my engine for a cost of close to $6K. According to the advisor and validated by the many articles you can find on the web. Mercedes, E350 engine (this affects E350, ML350 and many other C class cars using the same engine) was built using a balance shaft that was not tempered properly. This affects 10% to 15% of the cars between 2006 and 2007 Worst of all Mercedes will not stand behind the poorly manufactured engine !!!

Great cruiser, luxurious car.

Help the poor owners that are impacted by poorly manufactured engines.

Love my car
By groovycoolbean

2006 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 CDI 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I bought this car as a used car at a dealership. Got an excellent price. Has over 126k miles but drives like new. Everything works like new. The interior is in pristine condition. For people who spill the occasional drink the stainguard on the floor mat works marvelously. The gas mileage is averaging 35 mph with a/c in Phoenix at speeds averaging 70 mph. I read previously an issue with that but I haven't experienced it. I drive 80 roundtrip miles daily and this car is perfect for it. My carpool buddy loves how comfortable the seats can be for his naps on the way home. The overhead lighting for the back seat passengers is very helpful for passengers to navigate maps, etc while I'm driving.

Sound system, cd player is great quality. The torque and stability when accelerating is amazing. We get to 80mph before we merge onto the freeway if we're not paying attention. The gas mileage is fantastic averaging 35-42 mpgs at speeds ranging between 65 mph to 80 mph. The seat comfort features are great for long drives. Lots of lighting for night driving. Handling on turns and curves is amazing.

Too many ashtrays. I laughed at how many ashtrays are in the car. No bluetooth connection and the optional phone addition is too expensive (Mercedes-Benz dealer quoted me $1200.00). The 12V adapter isn't very good for charging phones, very slow.

Great car
By eebenz

2006 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 CDI 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

So far zero problems with this car. I bought it transferred from Houston to Phoenix with 45k mi, and have 60k mi now. Everything is perfect. Fuel mileage summer 24/36 winter 29/38 city/highway. My typical city driving is 6 mile each way with 15 lights. hwy hilly and 75 to 80mph. Note ac use is the mpg killer in Phoenix.

Comfy, fairly fast, efficient, 16 inch wheels, and luxurious. I have done the brakes and oil. These items are normally easy to do, but this car is not a normal car. Everything is extremely over engineered, which makes it quieter and time consuming to just do an oil change. Note it was not difficult but about 20 screws hold three covers to change the oil. I may do the top recovery method next time. The brakes had extra steps too, 2 sensors that tell when the brakes are ready to be changed. They need a little more attention to detail than a chevy. Parts cost was surprisingly cheaper than my old jeep and my wife's honda. OEM online is what I did and they matched the stampings on the original.

No bluetooth, I added this with an aftermarket to the aux port, but not what it should be. Reading about the factory bluetooth, I wouldn't buy that either. Fold down rear seat is an option and not on mine. Mirrors do not fold in, they are on a spring. Power folding mirrors is an option, but either way I'm not a fan. Most of my friends don't like doing their own maintaining. If you plan to take it to the dealer, be prepared for large bills. This is the reason I would not recommend to a friend.

Bad transmission for 2006 4matic
By eastsidejl

2006 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E350 4MATIC 4dr Sedan AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My 06 is currently under MB Manufactures warrantee and I have been fighting with MB to replace my faulty transmission. At 28 mph, it skips. MB tells me there is nothing wrong and this is normal performance!!!! I am filing complaints with every agency. I paid an extra $2k for my extended warrantee when I bought my certified used MB and MB will not fix this!!!! I would NEVER buy this car!!!!!

Replace faulty transmission!!!!

The Reliabel E-350
By erhardt

2006 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E350 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

I am very satisfied with the performance of my Benz