2006 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E350 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mercedes-benz E-class - Consumer Reviews

2006 E-Class Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:

Sort Reviews by

Great car. But poor engine quality
By mbzpain

2006 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E350 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

Love this car, great cruiser, comfortable, great mileage and power. BUT, Mercedes has delivered a car with a poorly designed engine. At 62K, I got check engine light and taking to the dealer was informed that I have to replace the balance shaft of my engine for a cost of close to $6K. According to the advisor and validated by the many articles you can find on the web. Mercedes, E350 engine (this affects E350, ML350 and many other C class cars using the same engine) was built using a balance shaft that was not tempered properly. This affects 10% to 15% of the cars between 2006 and 2007 Worst of all Mercedes will not stand behind the poorly manufactured engine !!!

Favorite Features

Great cruiser, luxurious car.

Suggested Improvements

Help the poor owners that are impacted by poorly manufactured engines.

Love my car
By groovycoolbean

2006 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 CDI 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I bought this car as a used car at a dealership. Got an excellent price. Has over 126k miles but drives like new. Everything works like new. The interior is in pristine condition. For people who spill the occasional drink the stainguard on the floor mat works marvelously. The gas mileage is averaging 35 mph with a/c in Phoenix at speeds averaging 70 mph. I read previously an issue with that but I haven't experienced it. I drive 80 roundtrip miles daily and this car is perfect for it. My carpool buddy loves how comfortable the seats can be for his naps on the way home. The overhead lighting for the back seat passengers is very helpful for passengers to navigate maps, etc while I'm driving.

Favorite Features

Sound system, cd player is great quality. The torque and stability when accelerating is amazing. We get to 80mph before we merge onto the freeway if we're not paying attention. The gas mileage is fantastic averaging 35-42 mpgs at speeds ranging between 65 mph to 80 mph. The seat comfort features are great for long drives. Lots of lighting for night driving. Handling on turns and curves is amazing.

Suggested Improvements

Too many ashtrays. I laughed at how many ashtrays are in the car. No bluetooth connection and the optional phone addition is too expensive (Mercedes-Benz dealer quoted me $1200.00). The 12V adapter isn't very good for charging phones, very slow.

Great car
By eebenz

2006 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 CDI 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

So far zero problems with this car. I bought it transferred from Houston to Phoenix with 45k mi, and have 60k mi now. Everything is perfect. Fuel mileage summer 24/36 winter 29/38 city/highway. My typical city driving is 6 mile each way with 15 lights. hwy hilly and 75 to 80mph. Note ac use is the mpg killer in Phoenix.

Favorite Features

Comfy, fairly fast, efficient, 16 inch wheels, and luxurious. I have done the brakes and oil. These items are normally easy to do, but this car is not a normal car. Everything is extremely over engineered, which makes it quieter and time consuming to just do an oil change. Note it was not difficult but about 20 screws hold three covers to change the oil. I may do the top recovery method next time. The brakes had extra steps too, 2 sensors that tell when the brakes are ready to be changed. They need a little more attention to detail than a chevy. Parts cost was surprisingly cheaper than my old jeep and my wife's honda. OEM online is what I did and they matched the stampings on the original.

Suggested Improvements

No bluetooth, I added this with an aftermarket to the aux port, but not what it should be. Reading about the factory bluetooth, I wouldn't buy that either. Fold down rear seat is an option and not on mine. Mirrors do not fold in, they are on a spring. Power folding mirrors is an option, but either way I'm not a fan. Most of my friends don't like doing their own maintaining. If you plan to take it to the dealer, be prepared for large bills. This is the reason I would not recommend to a friend.

Bad transmission for 2006 4matic
By eastsidejl

2006 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E350 4MATIC 4dr Sedan AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My 06 is currently under MB Manufactures warrantee and I have been fighting with MB to replace my faulty transmission. At 28 mph, it skips. MB tells me there is nothing wrong and this is normal performance!!!! I am filing complaints with every agency. I paid an extra $2k for my extended warrantee when I bought my certified used MB and MB will not fix this!!!! I would NEVER buy this car!!!!!

Suggested Improvements

Replace faulty transmission!!!!

The Reliabel E-350
By erhardt

2006 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E350 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

I am very satisfied with the performance of my Benz

Great Car
By williebegoode

2006 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E350 4MATIC 4dr Sedan AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Ever since I first saw the exterior styling of this E350 I've wanted one. The style was continued until 2009, and then changed in 2010 to a more angular look. So the 2006 looks exactly like the 2009 and the same model before it. This model has more pep than I realized, and I like the details and safety of the car. Very comfy.

Favorite Features

Control center, seat adjustment and memory, Navigation system, handling, dual sport/comfort gearing, appearance, ride, safety. Auxiliary connection for iPhone.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage, built-in iPod/iPhone amplifier into sound system

Love this car
By srsmartin

2006 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 CDI 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This car's average mileage for its first 51,000 miles is 30,6. On the highway I get 41+ at 70 mph. Add Mercedes legendary comfort and handling and this is a great car. I bought it used in 2009 from a dealer with a full MB warranty for $28 k. I'll never buy a new one again! It is my fourth Benz/first diesel, and I am now a diesel convert. Why drive anything else?

Favorite Features

Mileage!

Suggested Improvements

None - it is the perfect car.

Best MB Diesel that I have owned
By Deezil Jim

2006 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 CDI 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This car has performed exceptionally well since I purchased it from dealer. It had approx 28k at purchase. I purchased the MB extended warranty out to 5 year/100k to cover major component replacements. Best mileage was trip from El Paso,TX to destination near Fort Worth,TX (609 miles)this year, using air, with cruise control set at 70 MPH. With a few stops along the Interstate, I averaged 42.5 mpg to destination.Onboard computer at arrival said I could go another 280+ miles till refuel.(E-320 CDI has 21.0 gallontank. On board computer says that I have overall average of 33.5 mpg since purchase of car-mostly city driving mixed with some x-country trips. E- 320CDI, BEST of 4 diesel cars I owned!

Favorite Features

Large fuel tank (21gallon). Tremendous instant torque, will burn rubber on start. Never had a diesel car that could do that before. Comfortable bucket seats. Great A/C in the hot Texas summers. Heated seats are quick when selected. Good braking system. Selectable Rear Seat sun screen in back window.

Suggested Improvements

Better Nav System needed. My Garmin 580 is much better overall. Add Iphone connections. I have after market IPhone system installed in the car's great sound system and works great for hands free dialing and answering using voice reccy. 17 inch wheels would be nice if good ride could be maintained.

Oil pump problems
By Hans

2006 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E350 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

Listen in the morning at start up for a whining noise. it is the oil Pump because very few mechanics change the front of the trans oil, there are two oil plug for the transmission. Mercedes will replace the oil pump even the vehicle is out of warranty because they know there is a problem . 06 and 07 E350 .

7-speed transmission problems
By Keith K.

2006 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E350 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

I've owned 6 MB's in the last 28 years, they've all been reliable cars. Last year, I purchased a CPO 2006 E350 with 37,000 mi and an extended warranty. Thank God I purchased the warranty! Within six months a major oil leak had to be repaired on the engine and an interior trim piece on the center console pealed off; not so bad. Two days ago, I was driving and the transmission bumped hard down shifting from 2nd to 1st gear. When I drove off, it would not shift out of 1st gear. Had it towed to my dealer. They called today and said there was dark foreign fluid in the transmission fluid, that an interior part had failed and the transmission would need to be rebuilt or replaced. Not amused!

Favorite Features

Extended warranty, styling, ride, comfort, a loaner car! The dealer has been very accommodating, so far. Not sure I can afford to keep the car after the warranty expires. How about bringing back the reliability that was once the hallmark of a MB and transmissions that last 200,000+ miles.

Suggested Improvements

Solve the 7-speed transmission issues, oil leaks seem to be a problem, Navigation was outdated from the factory. These newer cars from Mercedes do not feel like a Mercedes product anymore. There is no solid "THUNK" to the doors, there is too much cheap plastic and fake chrome for a $60K car.