2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Consumer Review: Teutonic Elegance.....but will

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class - Consumer Review

E500 4MATIC Wagon (5.0L V8 AWD 5-speed Automatic)

Teutonic Elegance.....but will it last?
By Don Levison on

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E500 4MATIC AWD 4dr Wagon (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

My wife and I both love the car. Although a utilitarian vehicle, we sometimes think we're driving a sports car. The interior comfort, ride and handling can't be beat. Our car was described by Mercedes technicians and sales reps as "bullet proof". Mechanically, it has been, but if only they had kept the electronics simple and more reliable. The car regularly flashes inappropriate warning lights on the dash, emits "beeps" while driving with no known reason and the satellite radio has been erratic and unreliable. To check the oil level, you need to access the owners manual and go through a series of commands to reach the correct screen. Overall, a great car. We just hope it holds up.

This car is a dream to drive and with the sport package, 4-matic and low-profile tires, it hugs the road like a Ferrari. My wife loves the dynamic front seats which are heated, puff up to provide lateral support on hard turns and even massage your back while driving. Car is beautifully designed.

I would like to minimize the computers. Navigation system only so-so for a high-end wagon. Front passenger seat can't be adjusted with the rear seat down...German engineering?