2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Consumer Review: A Great, but Expensive Ride

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class - Consumer Review

E500 4MATIC Sedan (5.0L V8 AWD 5-speed Automatic)

A Great, but Expensive Ride
By Rick on

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E500 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

A tight, well balanced ride. Like most Mercedes, I had electrical problems and needed to have batteries replaced 4 times in the first 2 months I owned it. On the road it has good pickup with responsive and crisp steering. All inclusive with the fairly loaded configuration I specificed it set me back $76,000 and although I'm happy with the car, I feel I should have walked out of the showroom with at least another $10K in my pocket. Overall, the powerful engine combined with excellent handling makes for an exhibiliating and road worthy experience.

Favorite Features

Styling is the key attraction; the lines are incomparable. Comfort of multi contour seats (an extra) where side slats inflate to hold you in place when cornering then deflate are a useful and adds to a secure and in control feeling. Powerful acceleration and very good visibility. Safety features.

Suggested Improvements

Acceleration and braking is not intuitive and you find yourself pushing hard to get minimal response, then it hits and you can overaccelerate. Mercedes generally needs to put out a more reliable product; I should have to have the care in the shop 5 times in first 2 months of ownership.