Used 2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mercedes-benz E-class - Consumer Reviews

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesel

E320 CDI 3.2L 6-cyl. Turbo Diesel 5-speed Automatic - (62 reviews )

Different paradigm of diesel technology
By CM

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesel E320 Rwd CDI 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This car is in no way similar to the diesels my dad drove; gone are the days of turning off the air conditioning to get up the hills on the freeway. The harder you push this diesel the more refined it sounds. It seems to have a deep well of power and torque that never stops pleasing. I love this car!

Favorite Features

Exceptional build quality; unreal power and torque for a diesel; attractive body styling; The ESP system works wonderfully in the snow and ice.

Suggested Improvements

Scratch the integrated computer/audio/navigation/light/etc. system. The system is too confusing and when it breaks (and it will eventually) it will be multi-system failure. Also, don't put fine upholstery in the door jams!?! Drives me crazy trying to keep those clean. Needs larger gas filler neck.

My favorite Benz
By Stefan

Leasing the car to have a safe ride for my family. I drive all current MB models on a regular basis and this is my most favorite model. The torque is neck snapping, more that of a 8 cylinder car. The vehicle is fast, safe comfortable. Ride quality is outstanding and handling is precise and firm. I got 38mpg, but you HAVE to drive 55mph constantly to achieve this. Higher speeds impact economy. Heated seats get warm and in a hurry. We had first snow and there was not a second of insecurity. Do actually like the CL55 AMG better, but there is that hefty price tag. About cupholders: It is a cultural thing, but I wonder what size cups some people use?

Favorite Features

Economy, zippy, comfortable beyond belief. Got Navigation, Panoramic sunroof, heated seat options. This model plays MP3 CD-s in the headunit and has an AUX plug in the glove compartment so you can attach your own audio device. Controls only volume in AUX, but that is all I need.

Suggested Improvements

Offer more models with this or other Diesel engines.

Even better than I had hoped
By Steve S.

We have owned a turbodiesel in the past, so we thought we knew what we were getting. We were prepared to accept the trade off of "diesel" acceleration, noise and smell for the higher mileage, durability and understated luxury looks. Even after thoroughly test driving a number of differently equipped versions, and streching for the only totally loaded vehicle we could find, we feel like we've gotten the bargain of the century. This car is quick, powerful and easy to drive. Best of all, everyone does a double-take when they find out it runs on diesel. At first the controls were difficult, but after a short learning curve they have become second nature. We are extremely pleased.

Favorite Features

Fit, finish & look, A+ Interior comfort and styling, A+ Materials, solid A (wood & leather A+) Dynamic drive seats, A- (tiny controls) Other: A+ (Lighting package, SatRadio, NavSystem, Harmon Kardon 5 channel stereo w/dash mounted 6 CD changer, remote trunk and keyless start)

Suggested Improvements

Switch SatRadio from Sirius to XM radio and provide an AWD model.

After four months of driving
By Jim Smith

Have had car for four months. Averaging 33 MPH at highway speeds of 80. Around 26 in town driving. Only had one computer update on console system. No problems. Love car, the acceleration, braking, comfort of drive.

Favorite Features

Sirius radio, GPS system. Mileage is great. Big trunk. Very good braking - saved my fanny one time when car stopped in front of me.

Suggested Improvements

Orientation manual could be improved, especially when talking about GPS and other console features, plus dashboard is complex to learn.

Impressive
By winston

I can not believe the power this vehicle has...much more than the 320e. Hope this diesel lasts the fourteen plus years and over 200,000 miles of the last one owned. You can't beat a diesel engine...now it is combined with luxury!!

Favorite Features

A diesel engine that is quiet and smooth with awesome excelleration