Used 2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:

by Jim S.
By James Sandsmark

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd CDI 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

The turbo-diesel has all the response and acceleration of my previous 2000 E320. On trips, I typically get around 34mpg. If I keep the speed @ 65 or less , I have experiened 37.6 mpg over a 250 mile stretch

Seat warmers on chilly mornings. Digital option on speedometer. Driver's seat,mirrors & steering wheel are set to memory when you insert your "key" in the ignition.

Move clock to center of dash. On trip information, show: "fuel remaining" rather than "estimated range"and let me estimate range. Improve cup holders.

Longing for a Lexus
By Mistake in Philly

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E500 Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I have a '05 E500 sedan and wagon (4- matic) The sedan has been a problem since day one. The wagon has been a joy to own and since it is my wife's I don't get it that often. The sedan's brakes have been and continue to be an issue. The electronic brake system needs to be trashed. After numerous trips back to the dealer due to the hydralic pump activating for no reason, the system was finally replaced. The brakes have been squeaking even after 2 "treatments". The wipers "stink on ice". In addition, it is not as quick as my wagon. There is a noticeable lag in acceleration. I am truly disappointed in this car-- especially for the price. Thank God I leased it. Mercedes can have it back.

It is a very handsome car.

Go back to brake basics. When all I can think about is whether this car will stop in time, I can not enjoy the rest of the car's positive points. Adjust the gearing so that there is no lag. Mercedes engineers need to drive the wagon and adjust the sedan accordingly. Lexus here I come.

My Dream Car!
By W. MOrris

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E55 AMG 4dr Sedan (5.4L 8cyl S/C 5A)

In just 14 months, I worked my way up the AMG ladder. I went from a 2004 C 32 to the 2005 C55 to the awesome 2005 E 55. All cars were brand new. My E 55 is the ultimate in performance, looks, and power. I have never been denied by the engine when I demand more power. It is always there. The E 55 is not a large car. It rides beautifully, easy to maneuver and park yet has all the characteristics of a small sports car. It is tight, is a breeze to control especially with the adjustable air ride. I took it on a trip to California from BC and had a ball. Passing was joy. It was over before you knew it. My dream car, the E 55 will satisfy my needs for many years to come.

Peformance, classic looks, audio system is great, navigation package works really well.

Seats could be more comfortable (softer)

Surprised and delighted
By Brooks Thommes

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd CDI 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I was a little worried about my decision with the diesel at first but over the last year of driving it have been glad I made the choice. Besides the 35 mpg the 369 lbs of torque makes it a real pleasure to drive. Many friends that have ridden with us have no idea that it is a diesel unless we mention it.

The power to pass when needed, the GPS system, being able to shift the automatic, large trunk

Location of button to unlock the car, it is on the dash. Wider fuel filler hole to get diesel at some pumps.

Happy with E320 wagon
By slo456

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This has turned out to be an excellent purchase choice for a luxury car. Went with a wagon instead of a sedan and very happy to have done so. Much more flexible, better ride and handling. Constant 24 to 26 mpg on daily 30 mile freeway commute. Best mileage on long trips around 28 to 29 mpg. The electric rear tailgate door is a must. Makes grocery trips and other loading with hands full a breeze. Very comfortable ride and handling in town and out on the open road.

Rear electric tailgate, fuel mileage, ride and reliability.

Colors of interior and exterior limited for my tastes. More plastic parts than I normally like. Lumbar support did not come in both front seats for some reason.