Used 2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Consumer Reviews - 171 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:

Incredible car
By steve

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd CDI 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I bought this car after having driven its larger, S-class, cousin in Europe. I rented one for a week and, after a week of driving in the mountains and highways of northern Italy was amazed at how few liters of fuel went into the tank before returning it. Impressed, I bought an E-class shortly after my return. I have not been disappointed. It's performance is nothing short of phenomenal both in 0-60 terms and when passing at highway speeds. Better yet it consistently delivers 37-38mpg on trips and in the high 20's around town. Coupled with its comfort and handling, it's clearly the best car I've ever owned. My only complaint is that the HVAC controls are needlessly complex.

Fuel economy, performance, and so far, excellent mechanical reliability

Need to simplify the HVAC controls for safe and convenient driver use. Also the fuel fill needs to be enlarged to accept the larger diesel nozzles frequently encountered.

Good Solid Car
By ALEX

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E500 Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

This is a good solid family sedan. We special ordered the E500 with all the options( only missing is the distronic feature) Car has been trouble free for past two years. Keyless Go option is very nice to have, that you only need to carry the key with you in the pocket and you can open the car door and turn the ignition on without ever turning the key. Seats are very comfortable ( esp with dynamic seats, which automatically puts air into selective located area of seats when you turn the car in high speed for comfort" like G- suits in fighter jets" Engine is smooth and planty power with 7 speed transmission. wiht 305 HP engine passing is effortless and smooth and quiet overall.

Drive Dynamic seats. Keyless Go. Looks Panoramic sunroof. Good engine.

If you are considering buying MB CLS coupe get this instead because CLS is for four passenger and side windows are very small and tight. E class offers more praticle and higher resale value. wiht good 5 passenger capability. Will look nicer with quad chrome exhuast cover (optional)

2005 500E
By MikeMoore

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E500 Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I've owned this vehicle for about 9 months now and the longer I own it and drive it the more I'm enjoying it. I've averaged up to 28 mpg on the highway at speeds to 70 mph. The ride is very comfortable. The suspension is a little firm but that's why I bought the 500 and not the 350. The xenon light are incredible and the handling is as one would expect from such a car, the acceleration is almost as good as my 911. My only complaints are that the glove box is a little small to be very useful, and the seats are a little hard to put in a comfortable position, maybe to many adjustments. I've had only one small problem with the electrical system which was fixed under warranty. Excellent

The Xenon headlight are a must (should be standard on such a car). The overall feel of the car is like you are in a tank but it does not feel heavy.

Xenon headlights should be standard. Navigation system should also be standard. The glove box could be a little larger to accomodate the owner's manuel.

by Jim S.
By James Sandsmark

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd CDI 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

The turbo-diesel has all the response and acceleration of my previous 2000 E320. On trips, I typically get around 34mpg. If I keep the speed @ 65 or less , I have experiened 37.6 mpg over a 250 mile stretch

Seat warmers on chilly mornings. Digital option on speedometer. Driver's seat,mirrors & steering wheel are set to memory when you insert your "key" in the ignition.

Move clock to center of dash. On trip information, show: "fuel remaining" rather than "estimated range"and let me estimate range. Improve cup holders.

Longing for a Lexus
By Mistake in Philly

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E500 Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I have a '05 E500 sedan and wagon (4- matic) The sedan has been a problem since day one. The wagon has been a joy to own and since it is my wife's I don't get it that often. The sedan's brakes have been and continue to be an issue. The electronic brake system needs to be trashed. After numerous trips back to the dealer due to the hydralic pump activating for no reason, the system was finally replaced. The brakes have been squeaking even after 2 "treatments". The wipers "stink on ice". In addition, it is not as quick as my wagon. There is a noticeable lag in acceleration. I am truly disappointed in this car-- especially for the price. Thank God I leased it. Mercedes can have it back.

It is a very handsome car.

Go back to brake basics. When all I can think about is whether this car will stop in time, I can not enjoy the rest of the car's positive points. Adjust the gearing so that there is no lag. Mercedes engineers need to drive the wagon and adjust the sedan accordingly. Lexus here I come.