Used 2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mercedes-benz E-class - Consumer Reviews

E320 CDI 3.2L 6-cyl. Turbo Diesel 5-speed Automatic - (62 reviews )

Surprised and delighted
By Brooks Thommes

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesel E320 Rwd CDI 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I was a little worried about my decision with the diesel at first but over the last year of driving it have been glad I made the choice. Besides the 35 mpg the 369 lbs of torque makes it a real pleasure to drive. Many friends that have ridden with us have no idea that it is a diesel unless we mention it.

Favorite Features

The power to pass when needed, the GPS system, being able to shift the automatic, large trunk

Suggested Improvements

Location of button to unlock the car, it is on the dash. Wider fuel filler hole to get diesel at some pumps.

My first Diesel
By Mike S

This car has so many things going for it. The diesel engine so far has been amazing. I averaged 37.5 MPG on a recent trip to Florida. I drove 722 miles on one tank. I like that! That and 0-60 in 6.6 sec. in amazing to me. The car is beautiful in every way. It has a great ride. Recently I have been hearing a whistle in the vent fan. Not sure what that is. It sounds a little more noisy than when I purchased it 4 months ago. I would buy this car again. The only complaint is that Mercedes thinks they know better than we do and automatically turn the recirculate button off when it thinks it should. I press that button a hundred times a day. It's my car, let me decide!

Favorite Features

Mileage, heated/adjustable seats, stereo, ride. Location of the CD Changer.

Suggested Improvements

Fix that recirculate button to stay on for me. They put the place where you put the fuel in on the wrong side of the car! Not happy when it is raining. Key fob isn't easy to use. The keys should either be lit or colored for easy reading. Console should be softer for your elbow.

E320 CDI is a joy
By K Marvin

My E320 CDI (Turbo diesel) is a joy to drive. Mileage is amazing. A wonderful, solid feeling road car. Interior is miles ahead of BMW 535 and Audi A6. I drive 300 miles a week and I only get fuel once every 2 weeks! Navigation system is excellent as is the suspension. This car has been tweaked to near perfection. As promised by the dealer, cold weather starting is fantastic - 3 seconds of glow plug operation in 10 degrees and it starts faster that gasoline engines - WOW! My dealer, Leikin in Willoughby has been great. Mercedes is working very hard to make sure you love the vehicle and the dealer. Lots of surveys to insure satisfaction.

Favorite Features

Solid, safe road manners yet stunning acceleration when you "put your foot in it". Interior is extremely well designed - very classy. Mercedes has worked very hard to make the car driver friendly and intuitive.

Suggested Improvements

Perhaps a 4 wheel drive version.

Update on E320 CDI performance and quality
By Jim Smith

Love the car when not having problems. Have had four major problems, most electronic, but think I have either a turbo going out or a "reprogramming of the transmission" - quoted from dealer service department. Still do not have their act together on quality. Problems with keyless go, steering wheel up and down feature. Have written Mercedes about quality issue, but have had no reply from them.

Favorite Features

Love gas mileage. Drove to Dallas from NC, averaged 35.2 at speeds of 78-80. Like Sirius radio, but would have preferred XM. Got power galore until my above stated problem. Will find out more about that on my next service visit.

Suggested Improvements

Would have loved XM over Sirius. Better verbage in owners manual.

Perfect Balance of Quality and Economy
By hwvalentine

After 23,000 miles, not one problem. The build quality does not disappoint as in some previous Mercedes. The performance and economy of the diesel engine is unbelievable. My round-trip comute of 36 miles averaged 19 mpg in a 6 cyl. Grand Cherokee; the E320 averages 32. Best mileage was 41 for a long road trip and never lower than 26 in city driving. The diesel definitely prefers hot weather as highway milage drops about 4 mpg in the winter. The small items of bad news: the electric brakes have no reason to exist, there is no oil dipstick, the electronics are difficult to set, the stone colored carpet and mats are impossible to keep clean, and MB is not interested in owner feedback.

Favorite Features

The combination of performance and great fuel mileage followed by excellent build quality.

Suggested Improvements

1. Offer a tan/brown interior option and darker carpet on the stone color. 2. Needs to be more servicer-friendly for routine maintenance and fuel filter replacement. 3. Dump the electric brakes. 4. Simplify the control settings. 5. Adopt BMW's included service plan, not their ugly rear design.