2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesel - Consumer Reviews

E320 CDI 3.2L 6-cyl. Turbo Diesel 5-speed Automatic - (62 reviews )
MB E320 CDI
By RBinford on 06/12/05 17:51 PM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesel E320 Rwd CDI 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

We had a 2002 Mercedes C230 prior to this vehicle and it was wonderful. However, after having a child we decided that we needed a larger car. We looked at all of the different models of the E-Class and decided after driving all and talking with our sales rep that the 2005 E320 CDI was our best option. We haven't regreted it one moment.

Marylander
By Marlylander on 06/12/05 10:43 AM (PDT)

Since the new CDI arrived, I had been wanting to buy one. I have been happy ever since I bought this car. It is fun to drive, and gets more than excellent gas mileage. I average 650 miles between fill-ups. Then interior is comfortable and well designed. Sound system is great also.

A diesel MB charmer
By Steve Glauser on 05/03/05 14:21 PM (PDT)

When 1) Premium gas goes north of $2.30/gal; 2) you change jobs and started commuting 50 mi/day roundtrip on one of Atlanta's most congested roads and 3) the tranny in your 2002 Lincoln LSE is replaced at 26k miles, you buy a Benz turbodiesel. The new diesel technology is going to tramp hybrid into the ground IMHO. It's not the road warrior the LS was, but it's darn close. Cabin is much better suited to the long commute - better seats, stereo, NVH isolation. Torque spoils you immediately; HP has no meaning when the car locomotive pulls you to an easy 80mph cruise with no sign of power dropoff. I try not to subscribe to society's definition of success, but I feel like I've arrived in m E320 CDI.

2005 Mercedes E320 CDI
By G. Ward on 04/24/05 01:01 AM (PDT)

I have been very pleased with my E320 CDI in the year I have had it. My mileage has been between 33 and 35 mpg, and even higher on longer trips. The car has excellent pickup and is much better than the diesels I have owned in the past. The only problem I have had is that the clock in the dash gains a couple minutes a month and it is not exactly easy to reset. The dealer told me that this gain per month is within tolerances, but none of my clocks gained that much in the past. I have had one burned taillight in the year I've had the car, and one recall to repair the computer assisted brake system. All in all, it is an excellent car.

One VERY Happy Camper
By flaman on 04/23/05 16:22 PM (PDT)

Averaging 31 MPG or mixed highway and (limited) city driving. Quiet inside the vehicle and no diesel odors. Unbelievable response when the accelerator is pushed.

I love this car!
By James on 04/19/05 16:58 PM (PDT)

I live approx. 26 miles from work. I needed a nice luxury car with good gas mileage since my last ride was a Hummer H2. This car has it all. Good gas mileage, a perfect blend of comfort and sportiness and luxury. Safety features are top notch. I feel very safe, secure, and pampered in this car. Funny thing with this car is the faster I drive it, the better gas mileage I get. I drove it to California and averaged about 33 mpg. I usually get 28 back and forth from work. First thing I did was put on some custom chrome wheels. So far had the car for 4 months and no problems. If you do purchase this car make sure you take time at delivery to learn all the great things this car can do

What a car!
By Rocketman on 04/19/05 11:51 AM (PDT)

I went into the dealership wanting to drive a C class but drove the E320 CDI first and drove off with it. This is my second MB and I am impressed with the power, quietness, performance, and MPG. This is the most impressive car that I have ever driven. It will make hybrid technology extinct. You owe it to yourself to drive this car.

Nearly 3000 miles -- Awesome car!
By Bob on 04/16/05 20:54 PM (PDT)

This car is very different than anything I have driven. New to diesels, I can't get over the launch at low revs. Taking off, you need to push the throttle gently at first to spool up the turbo and then let it go. Amazing torque! In regards to looks, feel, ride, quality, it truly does the Mercedes brand justice. A fine car with great toys and beauty throughout. So far I am delighted! In regards to MPG, I have a mixed highway city daily commute of 30 miles. I am seeing 30 MPG consistently on each leg.

First diesel
By Chartist on 03/25/05 12:36 PM (PST)

I wanted the performance of an 8 cylinder at the cost of a six and found it with the E320 CDI. Fantastic appearance and acceleration. Not crazy about Mercedes service. Warranty work seems hard to get unless their computer shows a fault even though mechanic diagnosed problem during test drive. The car "bucks" briefly when pulling out from a stop.

My new MB diesel
By grumpy on 03/22/05 16:48 PM (PST)

Great car, much improved over previous MB diesel, much quieter, no smoke, plenty of power from a dead stop.