Used 2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:

My Final Benz!
By ed cooper

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd CDI 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I have had 61 new cars in my life, and 8 M-B's before this. Clearly, this is the worst car ever owned and the worst Benz! When it wasn't in the shop or on the back of a truck headed to the shop -- which happened every 2 months or less -- it was excellent. The dealer tried to help, but he couldn't make a silk purse out of this sow's ear. Hopefully I can dump it before a potential buyer finds that it is a Consumer Reports "used car to avoid!" M-B has produced a real disaster, and was totally unwilling to even discuss assisting me with my problems beyond the now expired warranty. Maybe it's time to return to Japanese quality -- quality cars which have never let me down/left me stranded.

When it was good, it was very, very good. When it was bad, it was awful!

Sin no more! Never commit an atrocity like this again!

Never Again
By Vince

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E500 Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

The quality of these cars is not better than a Ford. For $73,000 I would have expected this car to be in the same league as a BMW or Lexus and it's not.

Keyless go, active ventilated seats, Sirius radio, and electronic trunk closer.

These cars have serious issues with the transmission. My car has spent months in for warranty work during my ownership. I would not recommend purchasing one of these vehicles. MB will not extend your warranty if you'd had a troublesome vehicle.

I love my E500
By Rob D.

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E500 4MATIC AWD 4dr Wagon (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I love this car. I have owned Hummer H2's Lexus LS400 and SC430's, Cadillac DeVille's, MB c240's etc. The E500 is by far the best I have owned. It's fast as hell ( my best 1/4 mile time is 13.9 at 102mph with a few chips) smooth riding, great pickup sexy looks and extreme attitude. You can't mess with this car it messes with you!

My panoramic roof, sound system, and of course AWD

None

Still fast and a headturner after 4 yrs.
By Ernest C

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E500 Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

After leasing my 2005 E500, I decided to keep it. And I don't regret it. I love this car! It's black with chrome wheels and gets a lot of attention. I have not had any major problems. Other than the scheduled maintenance, I took it in for an AC glitch. I love the luxury equipments that came standard. From the GPS and satellite to the pulsating seats and xenon headlamps. And this bad boy gets excellent gas mileage. I averaged 29.6 mpg on the highway last month, on a trip to San Francisco. City epa averages around 18- 20 mpg. I'll be keeping this till the next E Class comes out.

The stylish exterior and the incredible gas mileage it gets.

I've heard this from other E Class owners before, but the passenger seats are sensitive. If you are driving alone and you place something on the passenger seat, the seatbelt chime will come on. Next time, create a button to override it.

Stay away from E320: Poorest quality
By Jerry

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

More problems than you can imagine with the computer, buttons falling off, phone not working. Worst navigation system (Acura & Lexus are better -- I have both). Car had a sticker of $62K new with options. Could have bought four Hundays for that. Made the mistake of buying the SCAM of an extended warranty when the original warranty expired. Nothing but excuses as to why something isn't covered. Hands free phone that came with car doesn't work. Now they are saying it's "trim" and not covered. Do yourself a favor and buy a Lexus. That's what I'm going to do. Mercedes "Summer of Love". Give me a break!

OK, the seats that give you a massage are pretty cool.

Improve the overall quality so it's as good as Lexus