Used 2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mercedes-benz E-class - Consumer Reviews

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:

Most Helpful|
Economy With Class
By muggs

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd CDI 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Fast,Quiet,Smooth. My sixth E class and the best.

Suggested Improvements

None

Torque Galore
By Curt

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd CDI 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Incredible torque and great handling. This is a beautiful car that is fun to drive. The build quality is outstanding and I have had no problems with the electronics (yet).

Favorite Features

Incredible torque, great styling and rock solid. This car is truly great fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Has automobile size gas filler neck (doesn't fit truck size diesel pumps) so expect to funnel diesel in some parts of the country. Electronics are rather confusing to use. Given their integrated design when they do fail it will be multisystem failure. MB should go modular and keep it simpler.

Perfect Balance of Quality and Economy
By hwvalentine

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd CDI 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

After 23,000 miles, not one problem. The build quality does not disappoint as in some previous Mercedes. The performance and economy of the diesel engine is unbelievable. My round-trip comute of 36 miles averaged 19 mpg in a 6 cyl. Grand Cherokee; the E320 averages 32. Best mileage was 41 for a long road trip and never lower than 26 in city driving. The diesel definitely prefers hot weather as highway milage drops about 4 mpg in the winter. The small items of bad news: the electric brakes have no reason to exist, there is no oil dipstick, the electronics are difficult to set, the stone colored carpet and mats are impossible to keep clean, and MB is not interested in owner feedback.

Favorite Features

The combination of performance and great fuel mileage followed by excellent build quality.

Suggested Improvements

1. Offer a tan/brown interior option and darker carpet on the stone color. 2. Needs to be more servicer-friendly for routine maintenance and fuel filter replacement. 3. Dump the electric brakes. 4. Simplify the control settings. 5. Adopt BMW's included service plan, not their ugly rear design.

E-Class CDI
By Bill

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd CDI 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This auto is great. I drive on the road in sales, it is comfortable, and fun to drive. The pickup is outstanding, not what many think of when looking a a diesel, this one will push you back into the seat. Diesel fuel is not hard to find, one tip, carry a pair of plastic gloves to wear when refueling, keeps the diesel smell off of you and the auto.

Favorite Features

Diesel engine

Suggested Improvements

Mercedes seatbelts do not retract when you exit the auto like I feel they should, tend to get caught in the door if you are not carefull.

A Great Ride So Far
By benz_man

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd CDI 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

We bought our 05 CDI with 48K on it 1 year ago tomorrow so I thought this would be a good time to right a review since I came here to read a bunch before I bought it. This car is a joy to drive and has been nothing but great for us. We downsized from an 07 Suburban because we really didn't need the room anymore and the Suburban is hard to give up if you've ever driven one. Great mileage, pretty much 28 in town and 35-37ish highway. This car feels safe, drives great, is quiet and has been bulletproof. I had one service issue, a door lock problem. The extended warranty covered it for 100 bucks. Drive one and put your foot into it. The diesel torque will put a smile on your face, I promise.

Favorite Features

Style, this car looks like a 2012 even though its 8 years old. Torque. The diesel is amazing. I'm telling you, it will bring a smile to your face and your still getting 35 MPG. Try that in a gasoline car. Solid feel. This car is heavy and you feel like secure in it. Back seat has plenty of room for 2. Mileage, this car saves us a ton at the pump. Seat heaters heat up in seconds. Trunk space is huge. Oil filter is so easy to change. Takes 2 minutes and is right on top. I do my own oil. I did buy a pump to change oil instead of taking covers off and draining it. Filters are not expensive at the dealership. I buy Mobil 1 at the auto parts store.

Suggested Improvements

Cant really think of too much to improve. I guess the Sat radio is kind of quirky sometimes. Maybe the door jams could be polished stainless or something like that because getting in and out your shows tend to mark the fabric up. The switches in the visors to turn on the light when you open the mirror are kind of cheap. I had to replace the passenger one but it was only 5 bucks at the dealership.