Used 2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mercedes-benz E-class - Consumer Reviews

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesel

E320 CDI 3.2L 6-cyl. Turbo Diesel 5-speed Automatic - (62 reviews )

A Great Ride So Far
By benz_man

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesel E320 Rwd CDI 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

We bought our 05 CDI with 48K on it 1 year ago tomorrow so I thought this would be a good time to right a review since I came here to read a bunch before I bought it. This car is a joy to drive and has been nothing but great for us. We downsized from an 07 Suburban because we really didn't need the room anymore and the Suburban is hard to give up if you've ever driven one. Great mileage, pretty much 28 in town and 35-37ish highway. This car feels safe, drives great, is quiet and has been bulletproof. I had one service issue, a door lock problem. The extended warranty covered it for 100 bucks. Drive one and put your foot into it. The diesel torque will put a smile on your face, I promise.

Favorite Features

Style, this car looks like a 2012 even though its 8 years old. Torque. The diesel is amazing. I'm telling you, it will bring a smile to your face and your still getting 35 MPG. Try that in a gasoline car. Solid feel. This car is heavy and you feel like secure in it. Back seat has plenty of room for 2. Mileage, this car saves us a ton at the pump. Seat heaters heat up in seconds. Trunk space is huge. Oil filter is so easy to change. Takes 2 minutes and is right on top. I do my own oil. I did buy a pump to change oil instead of taking covers off and draining it. Filters are not expensive at the dealership. I buy Mobil 1 at the auto parts store.

Suggested Improvements

Cant really think of too much to improve. I guess the Sat radio is kind of quirky sometimes. Maybe the door jams could be polished stainless or something like that because getting in and out your shows tend to mark the fabric up. The switches in the visors to turn on the light when you open the mirror are kind of cheap. I had to replace the passenger one but it was only 5 bucks at the dealership.

Best car I have ever owned!
By cdrhoek

Totally trouble free. This car has been as reliable as my Honda (no small feat!). 36MPG on the highway at 70 mph. Quiet, passengers have no idea it is a diesel. Performance is better than the gasoline version of the same car. This is the last year with the straight 6 mercedes diesel, as bullet-proof a motor as Mercedes has ever made. I would never consider buying another Mercedes that wasn't a diesel.

My Final Benz!
By ed cooper

I have had 61 new cars in my life, and 8 M-B's before this. Clearly, this is the worst car ever owned and the worst Benz! When it wasn't in the shop or on the back of a truck headed to the shop -- which happened every 2 months or less -- it was excellent. The dealer tried to help, but he couldn't make a silk purse out of this sow's ear. Hopefully I can dump it before a potential buyer finds that it is a Consumer Reports "used car to avoid!" M-B has produced a real disaster, and was totally unwilling to even discuss assisting me with my problems beyond the now expired warranty. Maybe it's time to return to Japanese quality -- quality cars which have never let me down/left me stranded.

Favorite Features

When it was good, it was very, very good. When it was bad, it was awful!

Suggested Improvements

Sin no more! Never commit an atrocity like this again!

Change your transmission oil!
By Justacustomer

I really loved having this car, but now I am told that I need a new transmission. I drive a lot, which is why I got the diesel. One time I got 40 miles per gallon on a trip to the shore! I brought the car in religiously for service which is why I was so shocked that my tranz needed replacement. Transmission oil is not listed to be changed at intervals like regular oil. I wish I changed it at 80K because then I would not have been writing this review. Learn from my mistake. Change the tranny oil.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, headlights, ventilated seats.

Suggested Improvements

No bluetooth this year.

Car Performance
By Jim Smith

Car when running correctly was wonderful, but had it in 11 times for major problems, 0 rings replaced twice, two fuel line leaks, transmission went out, and on and on. Lots of keyless go problems. Mercedes would not extend warranty for me. Dealership was very good in handling these problems, but Mercedes would not stand behind product

Favorite Features

Very quick, gas mileage good, but not quite up to projected ones especially in city driving. Very comfortable and responsive.

Suggested Improvements

Reliablity.