Used 2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mercedes-benz E-class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:

Bad decision from start to finish
By Victoria

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased a certified pre-owned 2005 E320 from a VERY reputable Mercedes dealership in North Carolina. It was the worst decision I have ever made. I fell in love with the appearance of the car, the dynamic Italian leather seats, navigation etc. Unfortunately, it doesn't run properly. In addition to regularly scheduled maintenance, the Mercedes service department (at two separate dealerships) has had my car in for "repair" EIGHTEEN times. In two years. No joke. It has a stalling issue that Mercedes trained and qualified service technicians cannot fix. It supposedly does not generate any error codes when it does this, so Mercedes can't fix it and I'm stuck with it. BEWARE!

Favorite Features

BEAUTIFUL interior, "dynamic seats" that pulse and move when you turn, the automatic headrests in the back, Automatic sunshade on the back window, Harmon Kardon sound system

Suggested Improvements

Figure out why it stalls for no reason. I would love to drive it on a regular basis.

I love my MB 05 E320
By VA-DC Driver

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

We have been completely happy with our purchase. Owned it 3 years at this point, bought it 2 yrs old with 27k miles (cert preowned buy). It now has 72k. Sold my 04 C320Wagon (that we also loved) and bought the E Dont buy a Benz if you dont want to pay the premiums for servicing. This isn't a car for those who like to change their own oil. My Ford bought new and now same miles -yes cheaper to take care of but way way less of a vehicle. Changed brakes and tires at same intervel w Ford. I was warned by non Benz owners (jealous?) about alleged electronics issues but after 3 yrs haven't had any probs.

Favorite Features

Automatic mode for most driving, but for those windy roads it lets you get your thrills by manually shifting gears (merely tapping the shift to up or down gears). Pure luxury ride. Comfort, power, mega safety for my wife and kids. Completely recommend.

Suggested Improvements

Previous Benz had a Bose stereo system- prefer that to the Harmon Kardon.

Beware of Certified Pre-Owned
By KGinthedesert

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I lost a BMW 528 in an accident and needed a car. Found this sharp platinum blue / parchment E320 with chrome wheels. After one week, the brake problems started. I've had the car a year and the break problems went away for one week when something else broke. I took it in to have the other problem fixed and the brakes were bad again. The certified warranty is up and so is my luck. I'll not only never buy from this dealer, but won't buy a Benz again.

Appearance

Suggested Improvements

Change wheel bearings and ALWAYS use ceramic brake pads

2005 E 320 Sedan
By L Jaksetich

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Fantastic mileage,...drove 920 miles to Florida on less than two tanks of fuel!!! Great road car for comfort, speed & handling. Purchased car, used, 3 yrs old with less than 10K. Even performed well this past winter in driving for it's weight,....truly is one of the best vehicles I have ever owned. This is my 4th Mercedes. Hope to drive it for a long time. Service is 2nd to none at my selling dealer.

Favorite Features

Comfort, spaciousness,build quality.

Suggested Improvements

Return of cassette player,...(I miss mine from 2004,...)

A good year so far
By gmac

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Bought car used with 5k with xenon, parktonic, & panoramic roof - three great options! The brake pump is very annoying as it cycles on and off. Base stereo much better than anticipated. Averaging 21 mpg which seems reasonable. Would have preferred used low mileage S class but my boss owns one. 2007 S Class scary in terms of long term maintenance. Best to lease I guess.

Favorite Features

I will never purchase another car without some form of parktronic - great technology!

Suggested Improvements

Brakes changing on 2007 E class - good move! Too many options that forces one to wait months for ideal car. Best stereo should be standard. Cost of phone upgrade is a joke. Also the price differential between Canada and US is over 30% when the currency diffential is only 14%.