2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:
A Great Ride So Far
By benz_man on 04/09/13 18:58 PM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd CDI 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

We bought our 05 CDI with 48K on it 1 year ago tomorrow so I thought this would be a good time to right a review since I came here to read a bunch before I bought it. This car is a joy to drive and has been nothing but great for us. We downsized from an 07 Suburban because we really didn't need the room anymore and the Suburban is hard to give up if you've ever driven one. Great mileage, pretty much 28 in town and 35-37ish highway. This car feels safe, drives great, is quiet and has been bulletproof. I had one service issue, a door lock problem. The extended warranty covered it for 100 bucks. Drive one and put your foot into it. The diesel torque will put a smile on your face, I promise.

Best car I have ever owned!
By cdrhoek on 03/03/12 08:52 AM (PST)

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd CDI 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Totally trouble free. This car has been as reliable as my Honda (no small feat!). 36MPG on the highway at 70 mph. Quiet, passengers have no idea it is a diesel. Performance is better than the gasoline version of the same car. This is the last year with the straight 6 mercedes diesel, as bullet-proof a motor as Mercedes has ever made. I would never consider buying another Mercedes that wasn't a diesel.

My Final Benz!
By ed cooper on 01/22/09 10:15 AM (PST)

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd CDI 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I have had 61 new cars in my life, and 8 M-B's before this. Clearly, this is the worst car ever owned and the worst Benz! When it wasn't in the shop or on the back of a truck headed to the shop -- which happened every 2 months or less -- it was excellent. The dealer tried to help, but he couldn't make a silk purse out of this sow's ear. Hopefully I can dump it before a potential buyer finds that it is a Consumer Reports "used car to avoid!" M-B has produced a real disaster, and was totally unwilling to even discuss assisting me with my problems beyond the now expired warranty. Maybe it's time to return to Japanese quality -- quality cars which have never let me down/left me stranded.

Change your transmission oil!
By Justacustomer on 04/28/08 20:39 PM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd CDI 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I really loved having this car, but now I am told that I need a new transmission. I drive a lot, which is why I got the diesel. One time I got 40 miles per gallon on a trip to the shore! I brought the car in religiously for service which is why I was so shocked that my tranz needed replacement. Transmission oil is not listed to be changed at intervals like regular oil. I wish I changed it at 80K because then I would not have been writing this review. Learn from my mistake. Change the tranny oil.

Car Performance
By Jim Smith on 03/21/07 06:13 AM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd CDI 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Car when running correctly was wonderful, but had it in 11 times for major problems, 0 rings replaced twice, two fuel line leaks, transmission went out, and on and on. Lots of keyless go problems. Mercedes would not extend warranty for me. Dealership was very good in handling these problems, but Mercedes would not stand behind product

Performace over 33 months
By Jim Smith on 01/28/07 12:59 PM (PST)

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd CDI 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

When the car is performing well, not in the shop, it is wonderful. Have had numerous major problems with the car, such as O rings having to be replaced twice, the transmission going out, numerous problems with the keyless go, and on and on. Have asked MB to extend warranty to 75K with being turned down. Will not buy another MB car, ever

E-Class CDI
By Bill on 01/28/07 07:29 AM (PST)

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd CDI 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This auto is great. I drive on the road in sales, it is comfortable, and fun to drive. The pickup is outstanding, not what many think of when looking a a diesel, this one will push you back into the seat. Diesel fuel is not hard to find, one tip, carry a pair of plastic gloves to wear when refueling, keeps the diesel smell off of you and the auto.

Outstanding automobile
By Four door sedan on 10/23/06 09:59 AM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd CDI 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This is my third MB. It is the best auto I have ever owned or driven. My wife and all who have driven it, rate it as the best drive and ride they have experienced. Mileage is fantastic. A 1000 mi. trip, with 900 miles of turnpike driving resulted in 35.9 mpg as measured with fill to cap to start and fill to cap at finish

Incredible car
By steve on 07/21/06 05:39 AM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd CDI 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I bought this car after having driven its larger, S-class, cousin in Europe. I rented one for a week and, after a week of driving in the mountains and highways of northern Italy was amazed at how few liters of fuel went into the tank before returning it. Impressed, I bought an E-class shortly after my return. I have not been disappointed. It's performance is nothing short of phenomenal both in 0-60 terms and when passing at highway speeds. Better yet it consistently delivers 37-38mpg on trips and in the high 20's around town. Coupled with its comfort and handling, it's clearly the best car I've ever owned. My only complaint is that the HVAC controls are needlessly complex.

by Jim S.
By James Sandsmark on 05/19/06 13:58 PM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd CDI 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

The turbo-diesel has all the response and acceleration of my previous 2000 E320. On trips, I typically get around 34mpg. If I keep the speed @ 65 or less , I have experiened 37.6 mpg over a 250 mile stretch