Used 2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:

Fulfilled Expectations
By Henry Beer

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E500 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased a 2004 E500 4matic last June. it was built for me to my specs. I did not get the nav system and other electronic bells and whistles, but ordered nearly everything else including the Sport and the Winter Package. I had an 84 4Matic which was fraught with trouble. Transfer cases going every 6000 miles. Mercedes was terrific about dealing with this even after warranty, but it sent me to Audi as my next car. Convinced that the new E Class and the four wheel systems had been revisited, I ordered one. Performance, handling, comfort, all the things that matter are superb. The car is mechanically flawless so far. Incredible in Colorado's snowy and high altitude driving conditions.

4 Matic. Intuitive controls. Interior layout. Exterior appearance. Seat comfort. Great cup holders!

None

Sounds cliche, but best car ever
By J Ghione

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I think everything I ever wanted in a car I found in my 2004 E320. Great handling, smooth suspension, powerful 3.2 engine, decent mileage, great turn radius, very sporty and modern exterior and a super classy yet modern enterior. In terms of looks this is a major update from the 2002 E320 which in my opinion is a bit too boxy and plain looking. Comparing to the 2002, I would say the suspension and handling are slightly more towards the sport side although it is still primarily a luxury ride. The engine is very quiet, yet they designed it just so you get a sporty engine growl when you accelerate. The extra money paid for this Mercedes is well worth it.

Exterior design, superb handling.

The only thing I do not like are the slightly cheap tempature controls.

Getting close to a year.....
By Golfdog2

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I'm just over 20000 miles and so far this has been a great car! The ride is comfortable and firm and everything works like it should (I didn't read my owners manual like I should have for a few things). I had an issue with the brakes but that was repaired and got a software update for the radio but that's about it for problems. The dealer service has been good as well. I understand why people like this car and I'll probably buy another one.

I like the feel of the car and the ride. I also like the big trunk. There is a lot more room inside than I first thought there would be. The routine service being included isn't bad either.

Change the clunky cup holder. Making the controls simpler wouldn't be Mercedes like so I will leave that alone, but how about making the owners manual simpler to understand.

Beware of Mercedes Warranty
By Brit in Dallas

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought a new (2004) E320 Sedan with Appearance and Luxury packages. It's very stylish but has been in the shop way too often. The air conditioning (horrible smell) which Mercedes was reluctant to correct first time stunk. Mercedes - simply flushing the system does not work - it needs to be replaced. Worse was to follow - the Mercedes Dealership damaged my computer during yet another visit to the shop (brakes recall) and it was replaced with a used part. Yes, a USED PART on a new car. I called Mercedes USA and was referred me to my new car warranty which gives them the option to do just that - replace parts with used or reconditioned ones. How cheap can you get Mercedes?

Great looking inside and out. Well equipped.

Need I say more - improve your Warranty, Mercedes. Whoever heard of a company with the repute of Mercedes Benz being reluctant to fix an air conditioning stench first time when they're clearly aware of this common fault. And used parts for new? Come on. No wonder you're losing market share.

Tire Problems
By rassr

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E500 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

This is a fine vehicle, overall, a joy to drive and comfortable. But the tires that came with it, Continental ContiTouring Contacts are clearly substandard for this vehicle. With only 7000 miles the rear tires were nearly ready for replacement. The front tires might have lasted another 4 to 5 thou. I replaced them with Bridgestone Potenza G008 tires and notice no difference in ride quality or noise. No satisfaction whatever from MB of North America, kind of a "take it and stuff it" attitude.

Comfort, styling & performance

Beware of original equipment tires. Look for the DOT treadwear rating on the sidewall - anything less than a 400 should not be accepted on the vehicle being purchased. Why wouldn't they even admit there was a problem.

• SUV