Used 2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mercedes-benz E-class - Consumer Reviews

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:

Hot Car
By Rick_MB

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E500 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Excellent handling and stability with an almost surgical attachment to the road when cornering a little too fast for those hairpin turns. Pickup very good although I debated between the 320 and the 500 won out, I almost wish I went for the E55 AMG which would have taken my horses from 302 to 467. Reliability as compared to my 2002 ML is far in away better although I've got under 10k miles and have yet to see the yellow ! go on for any AWD action. Contour seats seem to breathe around you and those bladders fill and empty whenever you take a curve at high speed and it senses the g forces to hold you firmly in place. And the girls seem to like it also.

Favorite Features

Powerful and able to accelerate well. Holds the road like glue and keeps a well balanced attitude under stressful road conditions. Nice sound system but not primo. Good visibility and fun to drive. Attractive styling, attracts a lot of admiring glances.

Suggested Improvements

I HATE the built in phone! Short sighted engineering gets you stuck with old technology phone that's not upgradable and will no longer be supported. No GSM capability and they FORCE you to use their proprietary phone which won't supply the service and they charge you $700 for the phone itself.

Platinum Blue Beauty
By Chaslap

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E500 Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I attended an investment seminar held on the dealership's showroom floor with no intention of changing cars. It was love at first sight. Upon returning 2 days later, it was being delivered as I drove up. Had one trucked in for me. I have gotten many compliments on its appearance, and the ownership experience thus far has been positive. It has power far in excess of ordinary driving demands, but that reserve is there in case of an emergency. The service department has been very helpful when called upon. Had to replace a strut early on, and the Pirelli's (all 4) feathered around the tread edges creating road noise. Rotated right-left hoping that reversing the rotation will smooth out the feathering

Favorite Features

Keyless Go. Ventilated seats. 4 zone climate control. Solidity, and safety features resulting in good crash test results. TeleAid. Programmability of the car's many features to suit driver preference. Long oil change interval.

Suggested Improvements

C and S model's headlight styling is better looking. Add a compass. Use a soil resistant material in the door sill area. Move the cruise controls to the wheel. Provide enough trunk width so a set of golf clubs can lie crosswise. Move the HomeLink buttons to the visor. Use different composition brake pads.

Fulfilled Expectations
By Henry Beer

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E500 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased a 2004 E500 4matic last June. it was built for me to my specs. I did not get the nav system and other electronic bells and whistles, but ordered nearly everything else including the Sport and the Winter Package. I had an 84 4Matic which was fraught with trouble. Transfer cases going every 6000 miles. Mercedes was terrific about dealing with this even after warranty, but it sent me to Audi as my next car. Convinced that the new E Class and the four wheel systems had been revisited, I ordered one. Performance, handling, comfort, all the things that matter are superb. The car is mechanically flawless so far. Incredible in Colorado's snowy and high altitude driving conditions.

Favorite Features

4 Matic. Intuitive controls. Interior layout. Exterior appearance. Seat comfort. Great cup holders!

Suggested Improvements

None

Sounds cliche, but best car ever
By J Ghione

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I think everything I ever wanted in a car I found in my 2004 E320. Great handling, smooth suspension, powerful 3.2 engine, decent mileage, great turn radius, very sporty and modern exterior and a super classy yet modern enterior. In terms of looks this is a major update from the 2002 E320 which in my opinion is a bit too boxy and plain looking. Comparing to the 2002, I would say the suspension and handling are slightly more towards the sport side although it is still primarily a luxury ride. The engine is very quiet, yet they designed it just so you get a sporty engine growl when you accelerate. The extra money paid for this Mercedes is well worth it.

Favorite Features

Exterior design, superb handling.

Suggested Improvements

The only thing I do not like are the slightly cheap tempature controls.

Getting close to a year.....
By Golfdog2

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I'm just over 20000 miles and so far this has been a great car! The ride is comfortable and firm and everything works like it should (I didn't read my owners manual like I should have for a few things). I had an issue with the brakes but that was repaired and got a software update for the radio but that's about it for problems. The dealer service has been good as well. I understand why people like this car and I'll probably buy another one.

Favorite Features

I like the feel of the car and the ride. I also like the big trunk. There is a lot more room inside than I first thought there would be. The routine service being included isn't bad either.

Suggested Improvements

Change the clunky cup holder. Making the controls simpler wouldn't be Mercedes like so I will leave that alone, but how about making the owners manual simpler to understand.