2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:
Looks good but stays in the shop
By bbh on 10/31/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E500 Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

After 3 years of owning a C320 I decided to upgrade to a E500. My C320 visited the workshop more than any of my cars but I thought the new models might be better. Well within 24-hours of delivery the car was on a tow truck. The alternater had died within the 1st 100 miles of the car's life. The fact that the factory and dealer tests did not find the bad alternater scared the hell out of me. What can I expect from this car?

This Car is Near Perfect!
By MAPC on 10/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This car is absolutely fantastic. I have owned many other luxury imports, including several MB's and this car beats all of them HANDS DOWN! The car is the perfect size- when I am driving alone it doesn't feel excessive, when I need to take clients out it is luxurious and comfortable, and when I take the kids our the 3rd row keeps them (and their mess) out of the passenger compartment. The car just plain feels right. From a handling perspective, the car sticks to the road like glue. I have owned a Porsche 911 and this sticks as tightly as the Porsche. I don't know if it is the rubber, the 4Matic, or what, but it all works beautifully. I cannot describe how happy I am with this purchase.

2004 E55 Review
By W210 on 10/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E55 AMG 4dr Sedan (5.4L 8cyl S/C 5A)

An excellent choice for those interested in getting from point A to point B quickly and comfortably. The beauty is that the E55 looks just like any other E-class thus it is less likely you will be bothered by law enforcement officers. If you need to speed, you have so much torque and horsepower it is absolutely effortless. Add on top the safety, reliability and strong resale value, the package is hard to beat. The E55 proves that Mercedes is serious about getting back on track delivering well engineered cars with high quality finishing. Highly recommended.

Very Solid Stiff Ride
By Anthony Gucciardo on 10/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

After having a 2002 C 240, I decided to upgrade to the 04 E320. I am rarely ever in the shop. With the C Class I was there Twice a week and finally had the car bought back under the lemon law. The E320 is a stiff Sold Ride with not enough power. The Styling is Very Classy but Plain. Its a nice looking car, but only when real clean and in nice colors. Gas Mileage is excellent and Naviagtion is a Life Saver. Handles excellent. I think I would have been 100% Satisfied if I got the E- 500. If I had the power, I could not say anything bad. I will be upgrading to the E500 in 16 Months. I woudl recommend this car to anyone looking for the finest 4 Door Sedan Made.

Mind of it's own?
By Mark4091 on 10/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

We've only had our 320E for 5 months, (2400mi) and do not like the way the transmission downshifts at low speeds. It's as though someone's putting on the breaks. It's a really odd feeling. Also, there is a hesitation starting off in forward or reverse. You have to make sure the "coast is clear" before entering traffic. The engine is louder than we anticipated. We really like the car, but these issues take the joy out of owning a Mercedes. What's with all the break dust on the wheels? Seems like I'm washing them every other day.

Love this car!
By Judy Spooner on 09/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E500 Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

We picked up our car in Germany and had a ball driving it on the autobaun. We did the Mercedes-Benz Black Forest trip which was excellent! Ride is great, trunk space is spacious, everyone loves the interior halo lights. Minor complaint is the light interior, that was the only choice at the time. All in all we get a lot of compliments on this car. Our previous car was a Jaguar XJ8 and it received a lot of compliments on looks, but this car gets a broader scope of compliments!

SO FAR SO GOOD
By SWASSERMAN on 09/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E500 Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I have only had this car for a week, so this review is obviously limited. Traded up from a 1997 Lexus E300. This car is beautiful, with a smooth powerful drive. Checked out VIN w/dealership to make sure it was not part of the recalls (on Edmunds) --so far have not had any mechanical/electrical problems for which Mercedes is becoming quickly known. Disappointed that leather seats are not as cushy as Lexus and are not even an option on E500. Also, Nav system is somewhat complicated to program.

Nice car
By tvo on 09/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I have a 1992 300E and 2004 E320 both are black int and black ext. The 2004 has better technology and power (of course). As far as quality and ride, I like the 1992 better. My 1992 has better handling ad better quality material. So far I encounter 1 minor problem. The Nav system had problem reading the DVD. After driving for 30 min, and turn off/on the car again. The problem went away. I am glad to hold out for 2004 model instead of previous model (1996-2002). The previous model got ugly tail light (personal experience).

Performance Luxury
By DavidN on 09/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E500 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Iwas reticent to purchase an MB. My prefeence was the Lexus 430 but, it is big and clunky much like a Cadillac. This 500e has the looks, performance, power and luxury I sought. My confidence in the vehicle has been verified in driving the car and asking it to deliver power, when necessary.

One great car
By windstar v on 08/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E500 4MATIC AWD 4dr Wagon (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Mercedes outdid themselves with this one. It is a pleasure to drive under all conditions.