2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:
Hot Car
By Rick_MB on 08/16/05 00:54 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E500 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Excellent handling and stability with an almost surgical attachment to the road when cornering a little too fast for those hairpin turns. Pickup very good although I debated between the 320 and the 500 won out, I almost wish I went for the E55 AMG which would have taken my horses from 302 to 467. Reliability as compared to my 2002 ML is far in away better although I've got under 10k miles and have yet to see the yellow ! go on for any AWD action. Contour seats seem to breathe around you and those bladders fill and empty whenever you take a curve at high speed and it senses the g forces to hold you firmly in place. And the girls seem to like it also.

Platinum Blue Beauty
By Chaslap on 06/22/05 14:40 PM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E500 Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I attended an investment seminar held on the dealership's showroom floor with no intention of changing cars. It was love at first sight. Upon returning 2 days later, it was being delivered as I drove up. Had one trucked in for me. I have gotten many compliments on its appearance, and the ownership experience thus far has been positive. It has power far in excess of ordinary driving demands, but that reserve is there in case of an emergency. The service department has been very helpful when called upon. Had to replace a strut early on, and the Pirelli's (all 4) feathered around the tread edges creating road noise. Rotated right-left hoping that reversing the rotation will smooth out the feathering

Fulfilled Expectations
By Henry Beer on 04/09/05 23:01 PM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E500 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased a 2004 E500 4matic last June. it was built for me to my specs. I did not get the nav system and other electronic bells and whistles, but ordered nearly everything else including the Sport and the Winter Package. I had an 84 4Matic which was fraught with trouble. Transfer cases going every 6000 miles. Mercedes was terrific about dealing with this even after warranty, but it sent me to Audi as my next car. Convinced that the new E Class and the four wheel systems had been revisited, I ordered one. Performance, handling, comfort, all the things that matter are superb. The car is mechanically flawless so far. Incredible in Colorado's snowy and high altitude driving conditions.

Sounds cliche, but best car ever
By J Ghione on 03/08/05 19:37 PM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I think everything I ever wanted in a car I found in my 2004 E320. Great handling, smooth suspension, powerful 3.2 engine, decent mileage, great turn radius, very sporty and modern exterior and a super classy yet modern enterior. In terms of looks this is a major update from the 2002 E320 which in my opinion is a bit too boxy and plain looking. Comparing to the 2002, I would say the suspension and handling are slightly more towards the sport side although it is still primarily a luxury ride. The engine is very quiet, yet they designed it just so you get a sporty engine growl when you accelerate. The extra money paid for this Mercedes is well worth it.

Getting close to a year.....
By Golfdog2 on 02/26/05 02:55 AM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I'm just over 20000 miles and so far this has been a great car! The ride is comfortable and firm and everything works like it should (I didn't read my owners manual like I should have for a few things). I had an issue with the brakes but that was repaired and got a software update for the radio but that's about it for problems. The dealer service has been good as well. I understand why people like this car and I'll probably buy another one.

Beware of Mercedes Warranty
By Brit in Dallas on 12/28/04 15:33 PM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought a new (2004) E320 Sedan with Appearance and Luxury packages. It's very stylish but has been in the shop way too often. The air conditioning (horrible smell) which Mercedes was reluctant to correct first time stunk. Mercedes - simply flushing the system does not work - it needs to be replaced. Worse was to follow - the Mercedes Dealership damaged my computer during yet another visit to the shop (brakes recall) and it was replaced with a used part. Yes, a USED PART on a new car. I called Mercedes USA and was referred me to my new car warranty which gives them the option to do just that - replace parts with used or reconditioned ones. How cheap can you get Mercedes?

Tire Problems
By rassr on 12/16/04 16:49 PM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E500 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

This is a fine vehicle, overall, a joy to drive and comfortable. But the tires that came with it, Continental ContiTouring Contacts are clearly substandard for this vehicle. With only 7000 miles the rear tires were nearly ready for replacement. The front tires might have lasted another 4 to 5 thou. I replaced them with Bridgestone Potenza G008 tires and notice no difference in ride quality or noise. No satisfaction whatever from MB of North America, kind of a "take it and stuff it" attitude.

Superb Automobile
By Weldone99 on 11/15/04 10:19 AM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Wonderful automobile, confortable,stylish and economical on gas.

great car, poorly built
By lnghrn17 on 11/06/04 09:23 AM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

love the ride, handling, features, styling, etc. this is my first european sedan-- friends warned me about quality problems but i bought it anyway because i really liked the overall vehicle ride and impression. however, its been recalled twice and the rocker arms need to be replaced. all this at 20,000 mi. mb needs to get its act together on build quality! if i were not now gunshy about quality/reliability, i d have almost nothing but good things to say. only complaints about performance and design are power/acceleration and the cupholders-- agree with other reviewers they are a little hokey.

Looks good but stays in the shop
By bbh on 10/31/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E500 Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

After 3 years of owning a C320 I decided to upgrade to a E500. My C320 visited the workshop more than any of my cars but I thought the new models might be better. Well within 24-hours of delivery the car was on a tow truck. The alternater had died within the 1st 100 miles of the car's life. The fact that the factory and dealer tests did not find the bad alternater scared the hell out of me. What can I expect from this car?