2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:
Worst vehicle
By worst vehicle tom on 03/25/06 06:34 AM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E500 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

After owning Lexus and BMW I was excited when MB offered the E500 4- matic. This vehicle has been nothing but a disappointment. The transmission is not smooth and overrevs. At times there is a delay when starting to accelerate that is unpredictable and dangerous. The braking system is noisy and very hard to adapt to in order to come to a smooth stop. The a/c system is a joke. When it starts to run on hot day it revs so loud people outside the vehicle stare thinking something is wrong. I have had this car back to the dealer numerous times and I am always told that is just the way the car is! I would never recommend this vehicle.

Fun to Drive
By Dave on 01/31/06 09:13 AM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E500 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

This has been an absolutely fun car to drive. It has an incredible amount of power and quickness. I smile everytime I step on the gas. Very smooth and stylish. I own several Mercedes and this is certainly the most fun to drive so far. I also live in a northern climate and when it snows the 4matic is excellent, it will motor right through the snow.

Great car
By leslie on 01/23/06 16:04 PM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E55 AMG 4dr Sedan (5.4L 8cyl S/C 5A)

For the money you can't go wrong. The car is outrageously fast. The ride is smooth. Everything on the interior is in its proper place. The handling is very good on or off the track. The fuel economy is good on the highway, but low in the city. So far no mechanical problems. The car is a gem.

Over priced hunk of junk
By phils68 on 01/23/06 03:45 AM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Warning to other potential buyers: been through 7 recalls on the SBC brakes and other electrical problems. This lousy vehicle needed a wheel alignment at only 6000 miles and the warranty only cover the labor and not parts and guess what? parts costs over $220 to set the steering straight. Pretty pathetic for a pampered vehicle that is only driven on the weekends

Everything I expected from a Mercedes
By Polishpride212 on 01/20/06 16:53 PM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

In the process of choosing a luxury sport sedan, I went to all the usual suspects, but each had its downfall.(Lexus LS430 = bland styling, BMW 5series was too sporty, Infiniti M35 had a cheap detailing)So I was left with two possiblities, the new Acura RL, coming in '05, or the redesigned E320. I choose the E320. Its interior was of an unmatched style and quality. The exterior has the right amount of sport and luxury. And that three-pointed star sealed the deal. So far, I have not have one single problem, and hopefully it will say that way. The dealership treated me as though I was a prince when it was sent in for service. The power is more than adequate, and it is all I wanted.

Electrical nightmare
By Michael Drake on 01/05/06 19:58 PM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E500 Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

Car has been and electrical and mechanical nightmare. Dealer had car for almost 2 months trying to fix charging problem. Software upgrades and failures galore. The dealer has been fine, but the overall quaility is terrible. I have owned Mercedes for over 20 years, and this thing is a lemon.

Benz in Trouble
By JFJ on 11/04/05 05:52 AM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E500 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

The E class, although elegant, beautifull and world class, has been very disappointing. Reliability, simply stinks! Performance is unpredictible and truck like at times. This is the E5004matic, with the adjustable/adaptive suspension that is at the sport II mode is worse than my replaced Acura MDX 2004. Comfort is subjective, however, the level of noise inside the car is a Ford F150 on a train crossing. The Hydro nonsense brakes are the worst I've had on a car, unpredictible, you simply do not have a clue everytime you want to stop how much pressure you should be applying. The car sticker is 70grand+. That is the problem?! for that much cash EVERY car in its class is a better one?

Back to BMW
By HB on 10/18/05 17:12 PM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E500 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

How about 6 flat tires in 14 months!?! Have not had 6 flats in 30 years of driving. Low profile tires can't handle any kind of pothole. Major reliability problem. Also - quirkiness of accelration and braking makes driving experience less enjoyable. Strange buzzing and vibration from various motors also hurts the experience. Too many weird characteristics for a $60k+ dream car. I'm selling and buying a Bimmer.

Hot Car
By Rick_MB on 08/16/05 00:54 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E500 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Excellent handling and stability with an almost surgical attachment to the road when cornering a little too fast for those hairpin turns. Pickup very good although I debated between the 320 and the 500 won out, I almost wish I went for the E55 AMG which would have taken my horses from 302 to 467. Reliability as compared to my 2002 ML is far in away better although I've got under 10k miles and have yet to see the yellow ! go on for any AWD action. Contour seats seem to breathe around you and those bladders fill and empty whenever you take a curve at high speed and it senses the g forces to hold you firmly in place. And the girls seem to like it also.

Platinum Blue Beauty
By Chaslap on 06/22/05 14:40 PM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E500 Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I attended an investment seminar held on the dealership's showroom floor with no intention of changing cars. It was love at first sight. Upon returning 2 days later, it was being delivered as I drove up. Had one trucked in for me. I have gotten many compliments on its appearance, and the ownership experience thus far has been positive. It has power far in excess of ordinary driving demands, but that reserve is there in case of an emergency. The service department has been very helpful when called upon. Had to replace a strut early on, and the Pirelli's (all 4) feathered around the tread edges creating road noise. Rotated right-left hoping that reversing the rotation will smooth out the feathering